Is the Color of Your Skin a Skin Type?

Airdate: 10/4/13

Does ethnicity matter when shopping for skin-care products? What about cosmetic procedures, like laser therapy? Find out what the research says about this issue as Paula and Bryan present the facts so you can have the skin you've always wanted, no matter its gorgeous color!

Paula Begoun: Hello. I'm Paula Begoun, the Cosmetics Cop, here with my other half, the other half of the Cosmetics Cop Team. Well, actually there are lots of members of the Cosmetics Cop Team.
Bryan Barron: We have minions.
Paula Begoun: But Bryan is my co-writer and research director and has been for years. And we are the best-selling authors of "Don't Go to the Cosmetics Counter Without Me." Actually, we've been best-selling authors of a lot of books, but the one we're best known for, well, on beauty and skincare, the one we're best known for is "Don't Go to the Cosmetics Counter Without Me."
00:00:32 We're here to keep you beautifully informed so you can make the best decisions about everything from skincare to makeup, hair care, Botox, cosmetic surgery. You name it pretty much and we'll discuss it, at least if we know about it. And we'll tell you the truth and take your questions on our Facebook page. Keep in mind this is not a live broadcast. But, you can always come to our Facebook page and ask us and often we can get to your questions.
00:00:57 But this is streaming -- not streaming -- streaming is the wrong word. We're live but not live-live. We're taping live for you to listen to later... -- Am I being totally…do you want to translate what I'm trying to say, Bryan?
Bryan Barron: I think, well, I think what you're getting at is when we did the radio show in the past we were on the air live and we had live callers. And you could either listen live or you could listen later. Right now the way we're doing the show is that we are live here in a studio taping the show, but you're not hearing us live.
Paula Begoun: Thank you.
00:01:31 Good translation. That's why I need you as a co-writer. I can't do this on my own.
Bryan Barron: This allows you to come to the site at your leisure, when it's convenient for you, because when we were doing the live shows we heard from a lot of women that say, "Oh, the time you do the show, I want to listen to it but I can't, it's dinnertime, I've got to put the kids to bed, I've got soccer practice," whatever the case was. And so we get it. So, we're making it easier for you.
Paula Begoun: And I have to say easier on us.
00:01:58 So, on that note, we're going to talk a little bit, we're going to definitely take Facebook questions for this taping, but what I want to touch on is the notion of your ethnic background, particularly for women of color or for women from countries such as Japan, or Korea, or India, have different skincare needs and need different skincare products that are specially formulated for their skin type, particularly women with darker skin tone -- African-American, African-Haitian, and American-Haitian.
00:02:35 Darker skin tones, Indian skin tones, and Asian skin tones. I get that question a lot. So, just to be clear, ethnic background, where you're born, is not a skin type. What is a skin type is what's going on with your skin. So, it's not that if you have a different skin color you might not have -- well, you do have different physiology.
00:03:03 Your skin is making more melanin. You might have -- some research shows that people of color with darker skin tones have thicker skin layers of skin.
Bryan Barron: Yeah. That's one of the prevailing theories as to why people of color, African-American descent, tend to form keloid scars.
Paula Begoun: Is because of the thicker outer layers of skin.
Bryan Barron: Yes. And a keloid is a raised scar, for those who may not know that term, as opposed to a flat scar and a dented scar.
Paula Begoun: And it's definitely something typical, more typical…
Bryan Barron: Yes.
Paula Begoun: …for women of color than it is for lighter skin women.
00:03:37 Although lighter skin women get keloidal scarring as well, it's just more typical for women of color. So, it's not that there aren't physiological -- some physiological differences. But those physiological differences rarely if ever change how you're supposed to take care of your skin. In other words, if you get a pimple, if you have acne, if you have skin discolorations, if you want to fight wrinkles, if you have dry skin, if you oily skin, if you have blackheads, if you have skin tags, if -- on, and on, and on, and on, and on.
00:04:12 Whatever skincare condition you have, what treats it rarely changes skin color, to skin color, to skin color, to skin color. Now, there are some exceptions, minor exceptions. Some lasers, medical treatments that you would get from a dermatologist that are a problem for darker skin tones. There are some issues with some skin lightening ingredients of which the major one, actually the only one would be hydroquinone.
00:04:43 But there are a minor, minor number of exceptions that somebody with a darker skin tone would have a problem with.
Bryan Barron: And just to be clear, just to backtrack a bit on the hydroquinone, it's not that women of color or men of color cannot use hydroquinone; it is that with darker skin, even with over-the-counter strengths of hydroquinone, which would be typically 2%, there is a very small risk of the discoloration becoming darker rather than lighter.
00:05:14 Now this condition reverses itself when you stop using hydroquinone, so it isn't anything to be scared about. And the odds of it happening to you are incredibly low. We're talking like getting struck by lightning odds. And if you are using prescription strength hydroquinone and you have darker skin that risk increases. But it's typically only been a big problem in what would be considered an adulterated hydroquinone product that has an unapproved amount of hydroquinone and the formula -- what I meant by adulterated is that the formula is mixed with something, typically a type of mercury ingredient that significantly enhances the penetration of hydroquinone into the skin, resulting in a condition known as orchronosis which is a permanent dark bluish discoloration where the product was applied.
00:06:06 That's bad news. That is not the concern with over-the-counter strengths of hydroquinone when they are purchased from a reputable company.
Paula Begoun: Right. And actually the other thing, some of the studies about hydroquinone are not just about mercury contamination in the products, also hydro-cortico steroids in the product that cause serious discoloration issues, thinning issues.
00:06:32 I mean, it's just high strength. So, what we're talking about is there is a risk -- it's not that hydroquinone doesn't lighten skin color and even out brown discolorations, it's that for darker skin tones in a rare number of situations you can get a slight darkening. But, again, as Bryan says, it stops. But, in terms of working, what it does for skin is what it -- oh, and by the way, it's not that women of lighter skin tone can't get darkening.
00:07:01 They can also get darkening. It's just that it's more typical for people of color, darker skin tones, to get that problem. So, just…
Bryan Barron: Rarer still for lighter skin tones. It's rare enough for women of color, but it's rarer still. But that does not mean it doesn't happen.
Paula Begoun: And the major takeaway here is that regardless of your skin tone, the products that work for different skin conditions from Eczema, to Psoriasis, oily skin, to Rosacea, and darker skin tones get Rosacea 100 percent.
00:07:40 My boyfriend is one of them. My South Indian, South Asian Indian boyfriend, who is pretty dark brown skin tone.
Bryan Barron: He is.
Paula Begoun: He has pretty serious Rosacea. It's not as typical as it is for Caucasians, but it absolutely happens.
00:08:00 And how you treat it -- acne, oily skin, blackheads, on, and on, and on, doesn't change. I haven't seen any research anywhere in the world that suggests that skin color is a skin type that has to be treated differently. It doesn't exist. Looking for products that are for your ethnic background will cheat your skin. It's not that there aren't products that are aimed at different skin types and that the products aren't good. They're just not necessarily good just for your ethnic background.
00:08:35 And of all the -- we've done product lines for women of darker skin tones, aimed at East Asian women, and what we find is there are good and bad products in the line, products packaged in jars, irritating ingredients. So, it turns out what is good for skin is universal and what is bad for skin is universal. And the research about that is unequivocal. There is no question. There is no argument. There is no discussion.
Bryan Barron: I've heard from some African-American women over the years, particularly those who have oily skin, that there is the common belief that their skin is naturally thicker or heartier. And therefore, and when their skin is also oily they feel that it's okay to use a stronger product, for example one of Clinique's Clarifying Lotions, like the level 3 or 4, which are very high in alcohol and witch hazel.
00:09:26 Or, they'll use something incredibly strong on their skin like pure rubbing alcohol to degrease it.
Paula Begoun: Right.
Bryan Barron: And they think that their skin can take it.
Paula Begoun: Right. And it can't. It can't, anymore than they can take smoking a cigarette or take sitting in the sun or take pollution better. All that stuff hits their skin the same way it hits anybody else's skin and causes damage and is unhealthy and generates a series of problems. When you irritate skin you break down collagen. It is the same for any skin color.
00:09:59 You hurt the skin's ability to heal; that is the same for any skin color. And, ironically, when you use irritating ingredients and you have oily skin you will stimulate more oily skin at the base of the pore. That irritation triggers the release of androgens at the base of the pore. And that, in turn, actually stimulates more oil production. So, whatever the belief is about having heartier skin, it is a myth. It isn't true. It will damage and make matters worse just like it does for anybody's skin color.
Bryan Barron: The other thing that I've seen come up from several time from women and men, basically if they're not Caucasian, so Indian, Asian, African-American, is that they feel that the ashy build up that they get like around the elbows, or the knees, or even like they'll say that, "My arms look really ashen."
Paula Begoun: Yeah?
Bryan Barron: They think that that's unique to their skin color.
00:10:57 And it's not.
Paula Begoun: No, it's not.
Bryan Barron: It's just that because of the darkness of their skin color that sun damaged skin is more visible.
Paula Begoun: Right. And has a different cast, has a different color -- it reflects the different color because the skin that's built up is a different color than Caucasian skin. But in terms of built up dead skin cells that gather on parts of the body like elbows and knees and wherever else, or that build up on the surface of skin, particularly the parts of your body that have been exposed to the sun and not protected from the sun, daylight -- I've got to stop saying sun, because it's really about daylight, because you the sun, you see daylight -- even through clouds you're getting sun damage that then reflects an ashier skin tone just because of the way the dead skin cells look -- the darker dead skin cells look on darker skinned women and men exactly.
00:11:55 Yeah, it's not unique. It's just unique in how -- it's not unique in what happens, it's unique in how it appears because of the difference in skin color. It's kind of like saying red lipstick goes on differently because of the uniqueness of somebody's, you know, because they're African, or Indian, or some other ethnic background other than Caucasian because it's their ethnic background as opposed to, well, you know, you've got a different skin color. Different lip color, the red lipstick is going to look different.
Bryan Barron: Exactly.
Paula Begoun: It's not anything about the ethnic background.
00:12:30 It's about just what happens when a color reflects differently on a different background.
Bryan Barron: Right. So, what about the issue of post-inflammatory hyper pigmentation or those brown marks that people of color get from a breakout or from any sort of skin trauma. That's just kind of counter to what we were talking about earlier about the myth that darker skin is thicker or heartier and can take more abuse. I found from just talking with women and men over the years that quite the opposite is true.
00:13:03 Is that darker skin is more prone to showing hyper pigmentation based on some sort of inflammatory response. So, how is that treated?
Paula Begoun: Well, it's two things. One is that, well, so it's two things. So, first in terms of a response to damage like a pimple in particular, because that's where it mostly shows up, or a superficial wound that isn't keloidal but shows a…
Bryan Barron: Like a burn from a curling iron, or a flat iron, or something like that.
Paula Begoun: Yes.
00:13:40 And so you get -- for lighter skinned women you get a redness and for darker skinned women you get a brownness. You go after healing that skin problem, initially, the same way you do any healing which is tons of antioxidants, particularly for a burn you don't occlude it, you don't put on thick butters, and creams, and lotions. You cool it down.
00:14:07 You heal it with lightweight soothing silicone serums loaded with antioxidants, heal, heal, heal. Then, after you've sped up the healing process because you've protected your skin from the sun, you've used lots of antioxidants, you haven't occluded the skin and you've been gentle with it, you haven't put anything irritating on it like essential oils that hurt the skin's healing process, so after you've done everything you can to help the healing process which will reduce the redness that lighter skinned women get from a wound or a pimple aftermath, or from a brown spot that a woman of color -- a darker skinned woman -- might get.
00:14:48 But keep in mind, you know, particularly lighter skinned African-American or Indian or South American, native South Americans or Native Americans, that you can also get on those skin colors, you can also get a redness as well. So, you heal, you heal, you heal, then the next step for women -- lighter skinned women -- is to exfoliate, same for darker skinned women. Exfoliate. You want to remove the dead layers of damaged skin. You want to get those off, so exfoliation is the same.
00:15:24 But for women of color what is different is because of the melanin built up in those layers of damaged that a skin lightener is the answer as opposed to the redness which is just more about the exfoliation and the anti-inflammatories. It's the same for a woman, a darker skinned woman when there are brown discolorations. You have to exfoliate. Well, actually, exfoliation is kind of a daily thing regardless to ward of sun damage and oily skin and blackheads and acne and wrinkles for all the wonderful things exfoliation does.
00:15:59 Same thing with antioxidants. But for a woman of color, for those brown built up discolorations, then you're looking at a skin lightening ingredient like hydroquinone. There are some plant extracts/alternatives that you can use. They're never quite as effective. Never quite as effective. I know there is some research showing that it works as well. I'm not convinced. That research is mostly coming from the companies selling the alternatives. The research about hydroquinone is just so lengthy and huge.
00:16:28 However, one way or the other it is about skin lightening for women of color versus lighter skin women who are struggling with white -- red discolorations. However, if a lighter skinned woman has a brown discoloration left over from a pimple or left over from a wound, she is also -- he or she is also looking at a skin lightening ingredient. So, that is kind of this overlap of exception in terms of what happens after the healing is done because a brown discoloration is always about a brown discoloration which is a buildup of melanin which is more typical in women of color than it is for Caucasian women.
00:17:10 But you've got a brown discoloration, the treatment is the same regardless of skin color. Does that answer it? Does that pretty much…?
Bryan Barron: That is, just from our Paula's Choice customers, and I know there has been some confusion as to how to explain that to a woman of color versus a woman with lighter skin tone, because it's the same thing. There are two cases of post-inflammatory hyper pigmentation and it's -- the melanin involvement.
Paula Begoun: So, it's for…
Bryan Barron: It's different.
Paula Begoun: Well, so hyper pigmentation reaction isn't about redness. That's not pigment, that's inflammation. The pigment -- so, a woman of color still has technically redness inflammation going on, you just don't see it.
Bryan Barron: Right.
Paula Begoun: The healing process afterwards for a darker skinned woman, and some lighter skin women, can build up hyper pigmentation as a result of the hyper inflammation.
00:18:18 Everybody's getting red from a wound. You see it more in lighter skin women than you see it in darker skin women, but the aftermath -- once the healing is done and you got to do everything you can to help healing, never impede healing -- the aftermath for women of color and some lighter skin women is a buildup of darker skin cells. That isn't hyper-inflammation, it's hyper-pigmentation. So, you get a wound, you get a pimple, you get a wound, you get hyper-inflammation. You get redness. You just don't see it as much in women of color, darker skin women.
00:18:52 Then, after the redness has calmed down or you don't see it as much -- actually, I don't want to say the redness has come down, because the redness can still be there, it's just that for women of color -- darker skin women -- it's covered up by darker buildup of skin cells.
Bryan Barron: Right.
Paula Begoun: And for lighter skin women you can still see the redness. But, one is about hyper pigment, the other is about inflammation. And that's where it gets confusing. And we should talk to our customer service department because I get the feeling I need to, we need to have a discussion, because it is confusing. And it happens to everybody because who doesn't get a pimple and who doesn't occasionally get a wound?
00:19:30 And, yeah, so I think we need an article. I'm sorry, I just hit the mic. I think we need an article about that. We must have an article. I think we need to repurpose it. We need to look at how we can explain that better. That's really an important difference where things overlap and where there are exceptions that occur more in women of color than it does in lighter skin women, but both can get the same reaction.
00:19:59 That's interesting. Did I explain that okay? Does that make sense?
Bryan Barron: Yeah, I got it. Let's take a few questions from the Paula's Choice Facebook page.
Paula Begoun: What do we got? Nice things? Are they saying nice things or are they made at us?
Bryan Barron: I was reading a question from Niccan who is an aesthetician. She's been an aesthetician for 18 years and she says that Paula is her go-to for everything skin.
Paula Begoun: Ooh! I love that kind of comment!
Bryan Barron: "That being said, we need someone like her to do the same thing with hair. Hair products. Hair problems. Hair coloring and highlights, etc. Any chance of expanding into hair?"
Paula Begoun: No.
00:20:39 Well, we did. We did do hair care. We did do hair care books, but... -- And while I do care about hair, lord knows I do care about hair, and we do some work on shampoos and conditioners and stuff like that, styling products. The good news about shampoos and conditioners and styling products is it's really hard to find bad products anymore. The state-of-the-art for hair care is just, I mean, it almost got boring with the last, what was it, the third edition of our hair care book?
Bryan Barron: Yeah.
00:21:13 Which was back in 2004, so it's been nine years.
Paula Begoun: This product is good. This product is great. The claims are stupid and wrong and this product contains too much fragrance but is a good conditioner, it's a good styling product, doesn't…I mean, it got so boring to say -- every product practically got a happy face. We just had to say the claims are ridiculous. The price is ridiculous. It was boring.
Bryan Barron: We'd come across a rare styling gel or hairspray, and this was at the drugstore and the salon.
Paula Begoun: And we're talking nine years ago and it's gotten even better since.
Bryan Barron: It's gotten even better since then.
00:21:48 But the rare one that would flake or maybe ball up a bit as you were rubbing it between your hands, I'm talking about a gel here, before putting it in the hair, but that was the exception to the rule.
Paula Begoun: That was the exception.
Bryan Barron: There was a smorgasbord, a gluttony of great products.
Paula Begoun: And so while I would say for our "Don't Go to the Cosmetics Counter Without Me" book the "Beauty Bible" and the other articles, myriad articles that we have on PaulasChoice.com…
Bryan Barron: Which include hair care articles -- we have several hair.
Paula Begoun: Oh, that's true.
Bryan Barron: And in some of those hair care articles we do recommend some of our favorite products, top products.
Paula Begoun: Oh, that's true!
Bryan Barron: Also we're doing radio themed shows about hair care products.
Paula Begoun: We are.
Bryan Barron: It is something that we know isn't going away in terms of women's desire to want to know more and what we think. What we're not going to do is add a series of hair care reviews to CosmeticsCop.com or another hair care themed book.
00:22:44 Sorry. Ha!
Paula Begoun: Right.
Bryan Barron: It's just not happening.
Paula Begoun: But having said that, where I could never sum up theories about skincare and theories about makeup and the quality of all those products, what I can say unequivocally is it just doesn't make sense to buy hair care products at a spa or a salon or the expensive products. It's just crazy. It's nonsensical. Whatever they're telling you about those ingredients are better than the ones at the drugstore, they're lying, it's not true.
00:23:15 I know there's no information, no research showing that that's the case. It's nonsense. One of the things that's also very hard for us to write about is about hair dye.
Bryan Barron: Oh yeah.
Paula Begoun: That's something that I've yet to read a book or see articles, and we did our research on that, it's just very hard to get a consensus. It's very confusing why some hair -- there's just no hard research that points to one way or the other. It's kind of like trying to write a book that says how to be an artist. It's really about the experience of the hair stylist and then even the hair stylist gets it wrong.
00:23:58 So, many reasons why we've stayed away from hair care, but it's not like we've stayed away from it 100 percent. Check out Cosmetics Cop information. So, always go to PaulasChoice.com and then you'll see the rest of the information there.
Bryan Barron: So, another great question from Sarah Ann. She says, "Paula, many of your cosmetics have ingredients that stimulate collagen in the skin. Have you thought about creating something for the lips that would have such ingredients as well? One of the signs of aging I struggle with is thinning lips."
Paula Begoun: So, first of all, you can put any of the skincare products we sell around your lips, on your lips.
00:24:40 I would stay -- obviously not the anti-acne products and not the…
Bryan Barron: There are some exceptions. I wouldn't use hydroquinone on the lips.
Paula Begoun: I probably wouldn't. Yeah, well why would you want to make your lips lighter. They're beautiful when they have more color. But, if you did I can't see a reason not to. You'd want to check with your physician about that. But, nonetheless, and I just lost my train of thought. I'm sorry, I went off on where you could use hydroquinone in my brain.
00:25:07 Wait, wait!
Bryan Barron: Collagen on lips.
Paula Begoun: Oh, collagen. So, you could use any of our products on the lips and there's no reason not to. Lord knows I do, particularly sunscreen which is probably the most important thing. But the kind of collagen buildup you're talking about that you want to prevent lips from getting thinner, no skincare product is going to deliver. Not mine or anybody else's.
00:25:28 The amount of collagen you would need to increase the amount around the lips to keep them from going thin just isn't possible with skincare products for many reasons. Primarily what happens around the lips, just like around the eyes, and the reason they age faster -- the mouth area, the lines around the mouth, what call the smile lines, nasolabial folds, and around the eye -- is because when you look at bone structure, the mouth, there's no bone structure.
00:25:59 It's a big empty circle. There's no bone there to support the lips; same thing with around the eyes. There's a big socket, so the skin hangs off of that area. It's not supported. And so as you age, as you get older, not just because of collagen breakdown but really just more because of gravity, the lips tend to turn in and on themselves. So, even if a product could build up enough collagen, it wouldn't build up enough collagen to keep the lips from turning in and down, particularly if you have a thin face, or you started out with thin lips to begin with.
Bryan Barron: Yeah.
Paula Begoun: It's just limited to what…
Bryan Barron: Or you're a smoker.
Paula Begoun: Well, then for sure you're going to get deep serious lines.
00:26:40 Deep. Deep serious lines around the mouth, not to mention thinner lips. And yellow, actually, depending on how much you've smoked -- yellow, that cross…
Bryan Barron: Crosshatch.
Paula Begoun: You know, cross lines, particularly like on the back, what they call a golfer's neck for women and men who have short hair and you get that terrible sun damage. But, smoking, right. It's just deadly on lips.
00:27:04 But in terms of skincare products that build up collagen, sunscreen especially, definitely put that around the mouth. That will help. But in terms of preventing thin lips it's just physiologically that possible. You get some improvement, but not like what you're hoping for. You're not going to get, what was it, Goldie Hawn lips? Oh, Meg Ryan. Meg Ryan is the one who did that movie and had went from, because she had very, even when she was young she had very thin lips.
Bryan Barron: Very thin lips.
Paula Begoun: What movie did she do where her lips were just like Angelina Jolie all of a sudden?
00:27:38 What movie was that?
Bryan Barron: Oh, was it that "Into the Cut" movie, or the one with Russell Crowe?
Paula Begoun: Hugh Jackman? The one she did where it went back in time?
Bryan Barron: I kind of lost interest in her.
Paula Begoun: Oh, don't lose interest in Meg Ryan. It was because of the collagen injections.
Bryan Barron: Maybe.
Paula Begoun: I think, I know. Oh, Meg!
Bryan Barron: Let's do one more question and we still love you Meg Ryan.
Paula Begoun: Yes we do.
Bryan Barron: This, I don't know if you've heard of this, Paula; I have not. Jamie wants to know if we have any advice for treating Intradermal Melasma outside of sunscreen and exposure avoidance. She says had two peels and it just made it worse.
Paula Begoun: Intradermal meaning skin discoloration that is deeper?
Bryan Barron: That's my take.
00:28:24 Because if you can -- obviously intradermal you wouldn't….
Paula Begoun: Intra? I haven't even heard the…
Bryan Barron: Intradermal, like it's a discoloration in the dermis of the skin, yet it's still visible on the surface? Because when you just look at your skin in the mirror the dermis is the skin's lower layer. It is invisible to the naked eye. You've got the epidermis and all of those layers that are covering it up. The dermis is where new collagen is created. There's a layer of subcutaneous fat under that. Now, blood vessels.
Paula Begoun: There is a term, I don't…
00:29:02 Huh. Okay, so that's over my head. I see some -- I don't know. I don't see it. I see that you can get some... -- I don't know. I'd have to -- that's over my head. I know that Melasma and Chloasma that occurs for some women because of pregnancy masking, from being pregnant, from hormones, or just naturally.
00:29:36 Just some women naturally have brown discolorations versus sun damage discolorations which tend to sometimes be more superficial but not all the time. They can be very deep, particularly the brown deep patches you get that used to be called liver spots but really are, you know, on the hands or on the hands or on the face that are just really hyper-pigmentation from sun damage.
00:30:02 There's definitely different levels of depth of discolorations, but it's all pretty deep because melanin production is deep. So, it's being generated in the deeper layers of skin because that's where melanin production occurs, because melanin is produced by living skin cells, so it's where the living skin cells exist, which is not on the surface. It's far deeper down. So, I don't even get the term. Are you looking?
Bryan Barron: No.
Paula Begoun: Do you see it online?
Bryan Barron: No, I didn't, because I knew that you were taking a look.
00:30:36 But I wish Jamie, and maybe I can reply to her and we'll talk about this on another show today, but I wish Jamie had given us a bit more information in that has she tried hydroquinone, has she used any prescriptions hydroquinone products. Or did she just jump to peels? Has she considered lasers?
Paula Begoun: Well, you think if she had a deep -- well, I wonder if the deep peel came from a facialist as opposed to a physician.
Bryan Barron: Could be.
Paula Begoun: Because I can't think of many dermatologists or plastic surgeons that would do a deep peel versus laser, because deep peels, what are you seeing?
Bryan Barron: No, just to see what she looks like.
Paula Begoun: Oh, she's adorable.
00:31:13 But, again, pictures are hard to see the discoloration. But a dermatologist or a plastic surgeon, to just jump to a deep peel to treat Melasma or Chloasma or any brown discoloration…
Bryan Barron: Not a standard method.
Paula Begoun: Not so much anymore. You would do laser treatment and you would do hydroquinone.
00:31:33 So, without knowing more of what she -- and sun protection, I mean, you know, mineral zinc oxide, titanium dioxide based sun protection. So, I'm a little confused by the term and just physiologically what I know about brown discolorations. It is intradermal. It isn't surface, because that's not where the brown stuff is being, the brown cells are being produced. But, let's have Nathan, our Facebook guru ask her what she means and maybe we can respond to her on Facebook.
Bryan Barron: Okay. Sounds great.
00:32:06 Let's wrap up.
Paula Begoun: Yes. I'm Paula Begoun, part of the Cosmetics Cop Research Team, with Bryan Barron, my head of the team, and co-author of "Don't Go to the Cosmetics Counter Without Me." We are keeping you beautifully informed on our archived radio show on PaulasChoice.com. Come find us. You can also come find us on our Facebook page. Please like us. We like you, too. And you can check in on our other shows that are archived, because if you found us -- you found us! -- and you can see our other shows right there. And so keep coming back to seeing more shows as we do them. Thank you. Stay tuned.
Bryan Barron: Thanks!
585630-IIS2 v1.0.0.344 10/24/2014 4:19:55 PM
Skip to Top of Page
FREE Shipping on Everything   |   FREE Antioxidant Retinol Serum on $50+   |   5 FREE Samples

Create an Account

Create Account»
  • »

New Customers

You will have the option to create an account after you have submitted your order.