The Look Younger Now Diet

Airdate: 1/27/11

Discover how your diet can help fight the signs of aging! Author and wellness coach Deborah Enos joins the program to share what to eat for healthier, younger-looking skin.

Paula Begoun: Hello, this is Paula Begoun, the Cosmetics Cop, keeping you beautifully informed. This must be Thursday evening, live in Seattle. Lots of different times around the world because you can listen to Blog Talk Radio live as you are right now, if you are listening to me or of course you can come and listen to the shows we do archived. You can get the link on Paula's Choice.com. But I'm here with my Paula's Choice team, keeping you beautifully informed, that's what we do. Desiree Stordahl and Bryan Barron. Desiree, Hi.
Desiree Stordahl: Hello.
Paula Begoun: You little blonde thing. You have been showing up more blonde even though you say you are not more blonde – look at my roots! You are blonde. You have become blonde. What are we going to do about that?
Desiree Stordahl: I've got roots to prove it. I haven't gone any blonder, but –
00:00:59
Paula Begoun: Bryan, do you think she looks more blonde?
Bryan Barron: You know, her hair looks brighter. I don't know, maybe you are just doing something to make your blonde hair shinier, but it does seem like you are more blonde, Desiree. I don't think you are fooling anyone.
Desiree Stordahl: I'm also wearing black today, so.
Paula Begoun: You know it is kind of funny with hair color. I find that, or a haircut. Bryan, don't people say this to you all the time – What did you do with your hair. And you go, "Nothing."
Bryan Barron: Yes.
00:01:27
Paula Begoun: It's like one day all of a sudden, wait a second, I think I just woke up this morning. I didn't die my roots, I didn't do anything – and everybody says, "So what did you do?" And what is that, perception of ourselves and the way other people see us. Maybe we brushed our hair a different way. Because I have my hair – I had my little traumatic experience before I left for Hawaii ten days ago. It is very hard being back in Seattle right now.
00:02:00 But I went and got highlights done and I came out and my hair was darker. In fact, when I got to the – I left thinking, well, it doesn't look particularly highlighted but, gee, I just spent two hours getting highlights, it must be lighter. And then when I got here, Desiree said, "Did you darken your hair?" And I thought, oh god, two hours later, and it is dark. But my own perception of myself in the moment was, well, if they tell me it is lighter –
00:02:32 So really that emotional reaction to ourselves, that's our own perception and other people's perception and – So, I am back from Maui. I am not tan. Although, slathering the body, I don't wear bikinis, I would never put this body in a bikini. I just wouldn't do that to someone else. I can't put this body in a bikini.
00:03:02 You know, put myself on the beach in a bikini. I think I would be, I know I would be an eye sore. I'm not doing that. But it also means, I mean the positive thing is I don't have to wear as much sunscreen because I am not exposing every inch of my body. And again, having gone to another warm place, I'm always shocked at the people just soaking in the sun, not seeking shade, just hanging out and in bikinis. I can't imagine how much sunscreen you would have to use over a body just handing out naked practically in the sun.
00:03:37 And how would you get – never mind, I'm not even going to talk about how you get your backside – "Excuse me, dear, will you rub that on the part of my rear end that is hanging out underneath my bathing suit?" I mean really! Well, actually I lost my train of thought. I was just going to say something about being in Hawaii and being back and slathering –
00:03:57 Oh, I know what I was going to say. So I am neurotic about sunscreen. And I layer it because for me it is my preferred way of getting sunscreen. I don't like just putting on one product. I put on Paula's Choice Pure Mineral and then I put on our Extra Moisturizing. But there is no way around it. You put sunscreen on, especially high SPF numbers, it is not the best feeling in the world. Now I think the ones I use from Paula's Choice absorb in nice and I know we recommend some from Neutrogena, but overall slathering up your body in sunscreen, it is a commitment.
00:04:33 It is not as much fun as just going in the water or just getting dressed and going outside.
Bryan Barron: Yeah, you know when I was in Florida a couple of years ago and willingly spent time in the sun on the beach because it was just too gorgeous not to and sometimes there is something about being on a beach that is unlike anything else.
00:04:59 And it was an ordeal getting sunscreen on from head to toe. And I think by the second or third day I just said, "Heck with it, I'm keeping my t-shirt on."
Paula Begoun: And that is what I did. And that is exactly what I did. But you have a very cute little body there Bryan so that must have been hard to cover up that little cute body on the beach, but I admire your dedication to sun protection.
00:05:28 So wait, so actually, because I could carry on. I'm actually kind of – because I just got back in last night and it was late and –
Bryan Barron: She is in a mood.
Paula Begoun: I am. I am a little spacey. But what I am not spacey about and I want to get to our guest here. Actually, Deborah, are you there? Deborah Enos? Deborah Enos is a wellness coach. She has a book called, "Weight a Minute: Transform Your Health in 60 seconds a Day."
00:06:02 And I think why I am so distracted is when Deborah agreed to come on and she sent us her book, I've got blue tabs all over. Oh, I know why. Deborah, I know why – hello Deborah, how are you?
Deborah Enos: I'm just great. I'm enjoying hearing about your Maui vacation.
Paula Begoun: Well actually, it's funny. With your book and everything and part of my thing with my weight woes all my life – going up and down, mostly up –
00:06:32 in weight. Is that one of the things, you know fat people always know everything there is to know about eating. We just ignore it. It is just so much easier to drink that extra two glasses of wine. That's what my trip was like.
Deborah Enos: That's true.
Paula Begoun: You know, that extra martini, the French fries that came with the sandwich that was on whole wheat and lean but I didn't say hold the French fries and just bring a salad instead. I mean all of the little –
00:07:07 And I actually thought this trip I was being healthier than usual, but I know the ways I fool myself. So when I was picking up your book, I have to tell you, you call yourself a "One-Minute Wellness Coach" and that is exactly what is in here are tips that if you just get one a day.
00:07:32 Like Deborah, this is such a great book; it's so easy. I should have had this when I left to Maui. So one of the things you say here that really surprised me is, it's funny, we talk about skin aging, but your tongue ages!
Deborah Enos: Isn't that crazy? Your tongue actually ages.
Paula Begoun: Your tongue ages. Will you tell me about that?
Deborah Enos: We thought maybe that would escape aging. You know everything else can age but that.
00:07:59 But you don't think about that aging. But everything ages. And it is just like, you know, you see these cute little old ladies and they wear so much perfume when they are 70 because they lost their sense of smell – everything changes. So we have to figure out a way, how do we fight this in a beautifully informed way and take good care of ourselves without going nuts.
00:08:27
Paula Begoun: So are we over-eating? I mean obviously from what I know, one of the things that ages, aside from skin, is metabolism ages and –
Deborah Enos: It does, but it doesn't have to, and that is the really good news is that your metabolism doesn't have to age. I mean there is great research on 90-year old men who are lifting weights who have the same, almost the same muscular development as somebody who is 25.
00:08:56 So the good news is that if you lifted weights three days a week, your metabolism shouldn't change at all as you get older.
Paula Begoun: Well I should have been lifting weights 30 years ago, but that is another. So is it true that if I just – well actually let's go back to the tongue aging before we talk about my metabolism maybe not aging. So is there anything you can do…so how does the tongue age?
Deborah Enos: You know, cells don't turn over like they do when we were 15. And so that is the unfortunate aspect of aging just like with our skin, things sag a little bit as we get older, the skin doesn't regenerate as quickly.
00:09:38 And that goes for every cell in your body, including your taste buds. And so as your taste buds age you may not taste the food quite as much as you used to when you were 25. And so the challenging part of that is if you really love sweets, the sweet part of your taste bud is on the tip of your tongue.
00:10:00 And so if you are licking an ice cream cone, that's great, you are actually getting a pretty good hit of sugar right on the tip of your tongue, so hopefully you won't need to eat three scoops of ice cream. But most of us as we get older and we are in a hurry we have a sugar craving. My old trigger food when I was 40 pounds heavier was chocolate covered raisins.
Bryan Barron: Oh, those are good.
Deborah Enos: So I would get the chocolate covered raisins – I know. I tell you, over Christmas I saw them at a store. My mom said, "Oh, should we get some?" And I said, no, no! I mean it has been 14 years since I lost 40 pounds; I still can't let chocolate covered raisins into my house 14 years later. I have to know my triggers.
00:10:40 But as you get older you are in a hurry and you want that sweet treat so I would stick my hand in the container of chocolate covered raisins, you throw them in your mouth, well, they go to the back of your mouth, kind of the back toward the throat and never touches the sweet taste bud, so you have to keep eating more and more and more.
00:10:57 And so there are tricks. Like you said, there are a lot of these old tricks in my book that I have struggled with my weight my entire life and I know the tricks because I like being a healthy weight for me. I like having more energy. I like sleeping 8 hours and having great energy all day long. When I don't eat well, and I have an extra ten pounds on me, I don't feel as good. And I want to achieve everything I can in my life and I know that that is a direct correlation to what I am sticking in my mouth.
00:11:29
Paula Begoun: So if I am eating something sweet, even something like grapes or an orange, and it is a healthy food, I will get more satisfaction, that sweet rush that I am looking for if I concentrate when I take it into my mouth or chew it by making sure it rolls around on the tip of my tongue, is that what you are saying?
Deborah Enos: Exactly, really chew it. That is one of the reasons that Americans are so overweight. We are so busy, we are eating in our cars, we are just shoving the food down our throat.
00:12:03 But if we actually took the time, and I learned this trick from another nutritionist probably 20 years ago when I started my practice. She said if you really want chocolate, have a piece of chocolate. Don't get the cheap chocolate. Get really good chocolate, open it up slowly, look at it, smell it and then eat. And eat it slowly, let it roll around in your mouth, and you will actually be satisfied with a couple of pieces versus 20 pieces if you are on the run.
00:12:31
Paula Begoun: Is it really true, I heard this a long time ago and it has just sort of stayed somewhere in my brain cells far back. The nerve endings in the brain that get triggered when you eat sweet or chocolate is the same for a sexual response. Is that true?
Deborah Enos: Yeah, that actually, a food is an endorphin.
Paula Begoun: Am I having sex when I am eating chocolate?
00:12:57
Deborah Enos: Can you do both?
Bryan Barron: Your brain thinks you are.
Paula Begoun: Oh, god, I don't even want to talk about that. That is a different show.
Deborah Enos: Are we going to have to bleep this out?
00:13:06
Paula Begoun: That's not our show, but I will talk to you after the show and you will tell me.
Deborah Enos: We'll have lunch.
Paula Begoun: But what were you going to – is it really like –
Deborah Enos: Well here's the deal. So endorphins are what make us feel so great. Endorphin comes from the word "morphine" which I have never been on morphine, I hear it is lovely. And so it makes you feel really, really happy and yummy and warm.
00:13:30 And the way you get endorphins is after exercise. Unfortunately it is not when you are lacing up your shoes. I don't feel yummy and happy and warm when I am putting my shoes on. But afterwards I feel pretty good. So what can make your body produce more endorphins is exercise, things like dark chocolate, but also physical touch. So you can get a massage, it could be sex, it could be a variety of different things, but that is how your body creates more endorphins.
00:14:00 And so, yes, I guess chocolate is right up there, then.
Paula Begoun: But back to the tongue aging, that really has me going. So one of the things I was reading in your book, because one of my – actually, I can be bad about sweets but I am really bad about salt. I mean people always notice –
Bryan Barron: Can I tell your little salt secret?
Paula Begoun: Yeah, oh shit. Sorry! Did I just curse? Go on, what were you going to say?
00:14:32 I'm so glad this isn't live. No, this is live. Never mind, go ahead Bryan. What were you going to say?
Bryan Barron: Paula actually keeps a giant shaker of salt in her office desk.
Deborah Enos: Oh my goodness.
Paula Begoun: I know.
Bryan Barron: And if that runs out she has soy sauce.
Deborah Enos: Which isn't salty at all.
Paula Begoun: I have tried. I know it. I know it. I know all of the stuff around it.
00:15:00 But now that I am, the thing about the tongue, so where is salt on the tongue? Where is that little guy?
Deborah Enos: It's more towards the back, but here is a suggestion, because I actually love salt. I mean, I will, actually when I go to a Mexican restaurant I even salt the chips and then we salt the salsa.
Paula Begoun: I do too! Isn't that terrible.
Deborah Enos: This is Paula's true confession show. So I love salt. And I am not going to give it up. I am certainly going to try to modify it but I am not going to give it up.
00:15:32 So there is not a lot of really good healthy minerals in regular table salt. Do you get the more expensive, you know, sea salt, because that is actually full of minerals. And while I can't say that it is like taking a vitamin, it is at least going to give you a really good shot of minerals.
Paula Begoun: Really?
Deborah Enos: It will.
Paula Begoun: So see, not that I should say "really" like I don't believe you, so you are saying, because I always thought that was a bunch of hooey that I would have said salt is salt.
00:16:03 But you are saying sea salt really does have extra benefit?
Deborah Enos: One of the healthiest places we could eat is at the sea. So meaning fish and sea vegetables. It is so full of minerals and if you are not getting great minerals, you are going to be tired and your skin is going to get saggy. So minerals are really, really important and we get a lot of minerals from the sea. We get a lot of minerals from fruits and vegetables.
00:16:34 Mainly vegetables, actually. But because the way fruits and vegetables are grown today, the soil isn't as rich as it was 50 years ago. It is hard to get a lot of minerals from your food. So, there are ways you can get more minerals. Eating organically can be really helpful. Of course taking vitamins but I like to do food first if we can.
00:16:58 But also sea salt. Honestly sea salt is really good for you.
Paula Begoun: I'm off to the store. I'm off to the store. That's it, I've got it. I'm always trying to cut back, but what about iodine that I get in regular salt. Is that going to be a problem for me?
Deborah Enos: Here is the thing that that is a really good point and I'm glad you brought it up because there is iodine in regular table salt and there is a very small amount in sea salt. But what I will say about that is that if you eat out three or four times in a week in a restaurant, you will get plenty of iodized salt from processed foods and from the way the kitchen is cooking.
00:17:40 So you will still probably get the same amount of iodized salt that you would get if you just used your regular salt shaker. But I do recommend eating more things from the sea meaning great fish and if you ever go to sushi and get that great little seaweed salad?
00:17:59
Paula Begoun: Yes, oh, seaweed. Yeah, I love seaweed.
Deborah Enos: Honestly Paula what you put in your body is just as important as what you put in your skin. And I need to learn how to make that seaweed salad because I could spend a fortune buying them. But if you had that probably two days a week, a little bit of sea vegetables, you would have such a huge dose of minerals. Your skin would really show the difference.
Paula Begoun: So, one of the things. So let me just remind everybody that I'm talking to Deborah Enos.
00:18:32 By the way, you have to go to her Web site, deborahenos.com. It is wonderful. She is adorable. You have green on the cover, you are wearing green on the cover of your book and you have green on the bicycle – well you are not on a bicycle but you are carrying something way too heavy for your back. But green is a good color for you. You look beautiful.
Deborah Enos: Oh thanks.
00:18:58
Paula Begoun: So one of the things I did last year, I was actually going to do it again this year and it is not going to work out. I was in Monte Carlo attending an anti-aging conference and it wasn't skin care, it was all medical research, universities around the world, nutritionists, it was everything. And one of the things I took away that I have actually changed how I eat is the importance of potassium and yogurt – lactobacillus and acidophilus.
00:19:28 And a lot of the research they quoted was way over my head. But also this issue that you don't get enough potassium and you wrote about that in your book.
Deborah Enos: I did.
Paula Begoun: Well remind me, what is this issue with not getting – potassium is like this big deal, right? It's electrolytes and how the body functions –
Deborah Enos: Right, and it is involved in so many different processes in your body. So there is a whole – I mean everything is important but I would certainly say potassium would really make a big difference. I would love to hear some of the research they were talking about.
00:20:07 But you know people have really cute back on potassium in their diets because one of the main sources of potassium is potatoes, or it is potatoes. But people have, because of Atkins diets and various different diets I have clients who come and see me and they say, "I won't eat any potatoes, I won't eat any carrots, I won't eat any bananas because they turn to sugar."
00:20:27 Well, sugar turns to sugar. White flour turns to sugar. But you can eat these fruits and vegetables and if you eat them in the right way it is going to be a huge boost to your body and really is a great benefit. Potassium is also going to make your skin look more hydrated. It is just a really great mineral for your body. It helps to increase your energy. When you are low in potassium you will feel tired all the time. All the time.
00:20:57 And one of the reasons why potassium gets removed out of our body is because we eat too much salt. So it is interesting –
Paula Begoun: Sodium –
Deborah Enos: Sodium depletes salt. Yes.
Bryan Barron: Sodium depletes potassium, correct Deborah?
Deborah Enos: I'm sorry, sodium depletes potassium. So if you order Chinese food and you ate so much. The next morning you get up and you can't even get your rings off your finger, you are just so bloated.
Paula Begoun: It's so true. Oh my god!
Deborah Enos: Exhausted. I mean you feel like you can't even peel your eyeballs open.
00:21:33 So, when you get low in potassium it feels like no amount of sleep can make you feel better. Now when you feel like you are tired all the time, your skin is really going to reflect that. And so if you get a cut, you know wound healing is going to really slow down. Your cells are just not going to regenerate as quickly as they would like to.
00:21:57
Paula Begoun: So Deborah, one of the things I have done because yogurt with the lactobacillus and the acidophilus and the research about all of that, and it is also high in potassium I learned.
Deborah Enos: It is.
Paula Begoun: And so when I was in Hawaii and trying to look okay in my covered up, in a tent, I ate bananas and yogurt every morning.
Deborah Enos: Wonderful.
Paula Begoun: Well wait, wait, now I have to find out if it is really wonderful because one of the things I did was –
00:22:30
Bryan Barron: Dip it in cheesecake?
Deborah Enos: With chocolate sauce.
Paula Begoun: Were you behind me on that deck, Bryan? I knew that was you running around back there.
Deborah Enos: It was actually banana ice cream
Bryan Barron: Aw, I thought my sunglasses were large enough.
Paula Begoun: So the, I just can't eat plain yogurt. I know that regular sugar yogurt is kind of, I have actually been pretty good about staying away from sugar, not drinking fruit juice but eating whole fruit.
Deborah Enos: Good. Good.
00:23:01
Paula Begoun: I don't eat processed food. In fact I even try to – we make our own pasta for pasta sauce. We make fresh pasta. I'm trying very hard to not buy pre-made pasta. So I have been really good about, for years and years, staying away from processed foods. When we buy bread I try to buy the fresh bread that is just made and not the stuff in the baggie stuff.
00:23:29 But in order to do the yogurt and the banana I use Splenda, way too much Splenda. Is that killing me?
Bryan Barron: Well you are still here.
Paula Begoun: I'm still here!
Deborah Enos: You're still cooking! Maybe I will just do a little meal makeover for you. Would that work okay?
Paula Begoun: Yes, give me a minute of it. Because you are the "Transform your health in 60 seconds."
Deborah Enos: So I want you to quit buying regular yogurt.
00:24:02 Regular yogurt has a ton of sugar in it. You are much better off with Greek yogurt. It has almost no sugar and a much higher protein content. When you have more protein in the morning you will crave less sugar in the afternoon. So that is number one.
Paula Begoun: So wait, you are telling me that when it says Greek Yogurt on the carton it really is different. Really?
Bryan Barron: Yes, it is a different style of yogurt.
00:24:30
Deborah Enos: It is. It is completely different. And most European yogurts will be. They are going to be a little thicker, probably a little more tart. The texture is different. And there is just not the sugar content. And it is a much higher protein content. So you can get Greek yogurt from anywhere, from Costco to Trader Joe's to Safeway.
Paula Begoun: And is it going to have the acidophilus and the lacto –
Bryan Barron: Yes.
Paula Begoun: Bryan, how do you know this stuff, you little cutie. Go on, I'm sorry. Go on, Deborah.
00:24:58
Deborah Enos: So, your issue with it is it is not sweet enough?
Paula Begoun: Yes, I hate – and the bananas aren't enough to make it sweet enough for me to eat it.
Deborah Enos: Love the banana idea. But how about this – like blueberries. Blueberries are phenomenal.
Paula Begoun: Now I put Splenda on blueberries. I just – I do. I hate tart.
Bryan Barron: Deborah, you are talking with one of your most challenging cases here.
Deborah Enos: Oh, I accept the challenge.
Bryan Barron: It might be more than one minute. She puts sugar on sugar.
00:25:33
Deborah Enos: So Paula, could you get blueberry jelly, blueberry jam that has no sugar added to it. Take a couple of tablespoons of blueberry jam – it is going to be a little bit sweeter because they are going to use some apple pectin and things like that to sweeten it up. Put a couple of tablespoons of blueberry jam, low sugar, into your Greek yogurt and then maybe a little drizzle of agave syrup on top. Do you know what agave syrup is?
00:26:02
Paula Begoun: No, I do. I do. And that sugar – blueberry jam, you are talking about the blueberry jam that is just blueberries, all thickened up blueberries.
Deborah Enos: Yes, and I think there is even one called "Just Blueberries" or "Just Fruit." And it literally is just the fruit and then they will put a little bit of apple juice in it to make it a little bit sweeter.
Paula Begoun: So I will try that, on my honor, I will try that. Is Splenda killing me?
00:26:27
Deborah Enos: You know, I can't say it is killing you but what I will say is that when Splenda first came out I was probably one of the first people to jump on the bandwagon thinking oh my gosh, I can have my cake and eat it too. The marketing was it looks like sugar, it tastes like sugar because it is sugar. What they forgot to tell you in the marketing is that they also use chlorine.
Paula Begoun: Oh, don't tell me this! I so don't want to know this.
Deborah Enos: Don't shoot the messenger. I know, so there is chlorine used in the processing of Splenda.
00:26:59
Bryan Barron: The first time I ever tried a dessert with Splenda a friend came over and she made a cheesecake with Splenda. Now I am not a huge fan of cheesecake generally speaking but I gave it a try and now I understand why afterwards I had a very subtle bleachy aftertaste.
Deborah Enos: Yes, isn't that interesting.
Paula Begoun: Oh, you are killing me here. You are killing me here.
Deborah Enos: You know there are alternatives. Something else you might look at is Stevia. Have you tried Stevia?
Paula Begoun: Yeah, I don't like Stevia. I really love that [unintelligible]. So what about, as I'm pushing here for artificial sweetener, what about Equal? What is Equal's thing?
00:27:39
Deborah Enos: I don't do anything in the pink, blue or yellow packet. Now do I never do that, I can't say I never do it. So when I was chubby I used to drink almost a six-pack of diet soda a day. A six-pack.
Paula Begoun: Wait, Deborah, I gave up diet soda. I don't do diet soda.
00:27:58
Deborah Enos: Excellent. But it was hard for me to give that up. And not only is it very addicting, there is some really interesting research out about the incredible challenges that can happen in your body if you really rely on these sweeteners. Now there is a chapter in my book about sweet alternatives and I also talk about Xylitol. Have you ever tried Xylitol?
Paula Begoun: The stuff in gum, right? Xylitol is a gum ingredient?
00:28:25
Deborah Enos: Yes, it is actually made from birch bark and raspberries and it comes in a little packet just like Sweet'N Low. And I actually take that with me when I travel and I have it in my office. I had it in my tea this morning. I had green tea at 11 o'clock this morning. I put a packet of Xylitol in it.
Paula Begoun: I'm writing all of this down, Xylitol.
Deborah Enos: And you get it in just about – I mean any health food store is going to carry it in the packets like that. But experiment with Stevia. When Stevia first came to America and was widely available, you are right, it was terrible. I mean it had an aftertaste and I would tell my clients to try it and then I wouldn't do it myself because it was terrible.
00:29:05 But there are some better ones out now like Truvia which you can get at Costco.
Paula Begoun: Truvia. T-R-U –
Deborah Enos: T-R-U-V-I-A. And so there are some better alternatives. So, just keep trying. I mean none of us liked wine when we first had it and we really like it now, right? Sometimes it is an acquired taste.
00:29:28
Paula Begoun: So I have just a couple of other quick questions and I want to take a call. Susan from Nebraska has a great question for you. I just want to remind everybody we are talking to Deborah Enos, the genius one-minute wellness coach. I am looking at her book, "Weight a Minute: Transform your health in 60 seconds a day." And weight is W-E-I-G-H-T. Such a great title. And it is. It is these short tips that you could take up once a day.
00:29:59 And you know, I have been marking them out. I've been marking – oh yeah, there are the sweet alternatives one. Xylitol, page 124. So, give me your best anti-wrinkle diet in a minute.
Bryan Barron: Yes, what can people eat daily to really help them look younger so that they will really see a difference in their skin, even if they are using really good skincare products.
00:30:28
Deborah Enos: Okay, perfect. Let me give you a couple. Can I start with what to cut out?
Paula Begoun: Sure.
Bryan Barron: As long as it is not wine.
Deborah Enos: Sugar.
Paula Begoun: Or sugar.
Deborah Enos: I was such a sugar hound. I loved it when I was overweight. I still love it, I'm not going to lie. Sugar keeps collagen from replicating.
Paula Begoun: It's true. I even know that. I know.
Deborah Enos: It's such a bummer. I wish it wasn't the truth but I have – once I found that out I really cut back on sugar because, you know, I'm vain. Hey, that's just the way life is.
00:31:02
Paula Begoun: Actually Deborah I'm going to interrupt just for a second because Pamela from North Carolina is actually asking, she is on topic. So Desiree would you unmute Pamela from –
Desiree Stordahl: Yes, we have Pamela now.
Paula Begoun: Pamela so you are asking kind of exactly what I am asking?
Pamela: Yes, and I tried to cut out process foods. I have gone to Truvia and the agave syrup.
00:31:34 I guess I'm just asking how long does it take to switch to these things and to cut out the sugar in your diet and really what are the best foods to have the quickest results. And what kind of time frame are we looking at?
Deborah Enos: Okay, unfortunately it is going to take awhile. Just like it takes awhile to age, it is going to take awhile to get our skin looking more rejuvenated. So first of all, kind of the one everybody talks about – water.
00:32:00 You know, you should on average be drinking eight 8-oz glasses a day and everybody is different. But for the most part your urine should be almost clear when you go to the bathroom and that is how you know you are drinking enough water. If you just have a handful of vitamins or had some fruit or vegetables, your urine might get a little bit darker and that is okay. But for the most part you want to shoot for clear urine.
Paula Begoun: What's wrong with darker colored – what is that about.
00:32:30
Deborah Enos: When your urine gets darker, like when you first get up in the morning your urine is going to be quite a bit darker and it is because it is a sign you are dehydrated. So when you are dehydrated your cells are not going to be as perky and plump. And honestly one of the fastest ways to make your skin look better is to drink more water.
Paula Begoun: The other secret about water is that you think you are hungry and you are really thirsty. How come your brain doesn't know the difference?
00:33:01
Deborah Enos: Our brains are super smart but you know our stomach is going to put one over on us. So if we are dehydrated our body, well our brain might know the difference, our body says, "Gosh, I'm feeling something down south, I better go feed it" when we could do just as well if we had a cup of green tea or a glass of water.
Paula Begoun: So we are going to drink water. And then, Pamela, did you ask which foods are less aging than others because I thought –
Pamela: Yes. And like what is the best tea. They tell you green tea is better than black tea and white tea is better than green tea and Essentia is better than this. I guess I would like to know where should we put our efforts?
00:33:43
Deborah Enos: Okay, that is a good question. So I will just jump in and tell you, I think one of the fastest ways to make your skin look better is to eat more omega-3 fatty acids. That is going to come from deep water fish like salmon. Wild Alaskan Salmon is fantastic.
00:34:02 Eating more almonds. Eating more walnuts. Eating avocadoes. Nuts and seeds. When our skin gets dry, especially you know we are all in the middle of winter here in the US, when your skin gets dry and it is dehydrated, it is going to look like the Mohave desert. It is going to be cracked and it is going to be saggy. The way you get your skin to plump back up is to make sure you are drinking enough water and you are getting enough essential fat, it is called essential fat because your body needs it and it can't make it.
00:34:34 It can only eat it. So it is really important to get enough essential fat and that is going to plump up your skin. It helps to get rid of dandruff. When your heels are dry in the winter and you are just gobbing on loads of skin cream and then putting socks on it, one of the best ways to approach it is to just eat a handful of walnuts a day and have salmon three times a week.
00:34:58 It is going to make a really big difference.
Paula Begoun: So Pamela, because it is funny. Oh, Pamela, did you have another question you wanted to throw out there?
Pamela: No, I just think it is complicated. You really have to think about it and the processed foods are so easy and trying to get away from that and eating more organic and to buy the right things and it is like I had to switch to the Greek yogurt you are talking about. And I don't like it because it is very sour just like Paula said. I have found Truvia and sometimes what I have found that works better that may help people is combine the Truvia with the agave syrup. Sometimes I find –
00:35:35
Deborah Enos: Oh, that's a great idea.
Pamela: Sometimes I find if I combine two different sweetener that I need less of each one and I get a better taste.
Paula Begoun: So Pamela you are actually doing what Deborah suggested is mixing the two. And maybe you could try your blueberry jam, the sugar-free blueberry jam little secret thing she threw out there. I think that sounds – plus you would get the benefit of the dark blueberry, even when it is mushed up into a jam you would still get the blueberry antioxidant stuff, right Deborah?
00:36:05
Deborah Enos: That's right. And you won't lose anything. And then the other thing is to alternate that breakfast with eggs. I'm a big fan of eggs. And some recent research has found that having one egg a day can actually help to diminish brown spots.
Paula Begoun: You're kidding. Really?
Deborah Enos: [And it retracts] from UV rays. So there are foods, we can raise our skin's natural SPF by a significant amount if we eat the right way.
00:36:37
Paula Begoun: It's true. And that research is [the same is clear]. Eggs though? Like the whole egg, not just the egg white?
Deborah Enos: The whole egg.
Bryan Barron: Most of the nutrition is in the yolk.
Deborah Enos: It is in the yolk; that is an excellent point that most of the nutrition is in the yolk. And people always say to me, you know I have been in this business for 20 years – what about cholesterol? Well, here is the deal.
00:37:02 1972 there was a study done on dried egg yolks. What they found was that dried egg yolks can raise cholesterol levels. Nobody is eating dried egg yolks. We are eating the real egg and you always have to look behind the study to see who has sponsored it. And it was the Cereal Council. So they had a vested interest in making sure that people were eating cereal and not eggs.
00:37:30 So I have been battling high cholesterol since I was 23 years old. I eat probably 8 eggs a week. There are other things that I could be doing that is going to raise my cholesterol levels more than eating eggs.
Paula Begoun: So Pamela, before I send you away because actually Susan has a great question, because she is allergic to omega-3, Pamela, what kind of skin type do you have so I can send you some Paula's Choice products?
Pamela: Dry skin. And I use your products and I love them. I wanted to tell you your BHA and AHA products – here I am a nurse and I cannot believe all these years it has taken me to find your products.
00:38:10 I have my children on them. It is the best thing because my skin, even at nearly 50 years of age, I still have acne.
Paula Begoun: I do too! But I'm older. So what products are you using Pamela from Paula's Choice?
Pamela: I'm using your BHA 1% lotion and then I am using your AHA at night. And then every other night I'm using my 1% Retin-A.
00:38:36
Paula Begoun: And what are you using to cleanse your face?
Pamela: Your blue line, it is the anti-aging one that you just came out with. I'm using those.
Paula Begoun: Alright, so let me send you a set of the Resist Anti-Aging formulas that we came up with, the cleanser, the toner, the Barrier Repair. I'm going to send you the AHA resurfacing treatment duo for you to play with and the antioxidant concentrate and send you with some stuff. And you eat healthy and we will both look better for longer.
00:39:10
Deborah Enos: Thanks for the questions. There were great. And keep drinking that green tea.
Pamela: Thanks so much.
Paula Begoun: Thank you dear. And then Desiree, is it Susan has a question about the omega-3. Susan?
Susan: Yes.
Paula Begoun: Hi Susan.
00:39:28
Susan: Hi, so I have been listening to this and I make all – I don't use processed food. I cook every night. I do everything I'm supposed to. It's funny, I don't put sugar on in the morning because I get dizzy so I use cinnamon instead of sugar.
Deborah Enos: Oh, that's great.
Susan: I use a Greek yogurt but it is so tart but I put blueberries and Bare Naked granola on it, but I also put cottage cheese in it to take the tart away.
Deborah Enos: Great idea.
Paula Begoun: Oh you are way too healthy, Susan.
00:40:00
Susan: No, I'm not really. But I try.
Bryan Barron: Next caller. Next caller!
Susan: My problem is I did two regimens of Accutane because my skin was so oily, I had such bad acne. And it has made my skin so dry and in fact my bones are so dry that at one point I was talking to somebody saying every morning I get up, I hurt. I was tested for arthritis, I don't have it. I had a friend say, "Mine does, too. I use omega-3 and I use flaxseed oil and that takes it away."
00:40:31 Well I am allergic to fish so I am totally afraid to use omega-3s of any kind and I can't eat that salmon three times a day because I will go into anaphylactic shock.
Deborah Enos: And we don't really want that.
Paula Begoun: That actually doesn't look really good. That actually does look unattractive.
Susan: But my skin is so dry, my bones, and I know, and I thought, so I have tried – I eat the avocadoes but yes, that is the problem. How do I get that oil in my – the omega-3s when I can't eat?
00:41:08
Deborah Enos: Yes. So have you tried things like flaxseed? You have tried flaxseed, right?
Susan: Well I haven't actually used the, tell me to take the flaxseed oil pills, because I thought, okay, I will try that. So I have been doing that and actually I can get up in the morning and I don't, like my bones don't hurt anymore. So actually it is working but I haven't actually used any flaxseed oil or anything, just the pills.
00:41:39
Deborah Enos: Which is fine. That is fine. So at least you are getting some. Now the challenge with using flaxseed is there are two components to fish oil, EPA and DHA. And flaxseed doesn't convert quite as well to those substances. So what I would also suggest you try, have you ever tried Evening Primrose oil?
00:42:02
Susan: Eat it? No, I have never eaten it. No.
Deborah Enos: So there is Evening Primrose oil. It is going to come in a supplement just like a – it is going to look like a vitamin E tablet. And it is going to be one of those soft little supplements. So I would check in with your health foods store. Do you have a good health foods store near where you live?
Susan: Oh yes, yes.
Deborah Enos: Okay, so there are a couple of things I would go in there and ask them about. Evening Primrose oil and also CHIA seeds. Have you heard about CHIA beside the CHIA pets at Christmas?
Paula Begoun: No, I haven't.
00:42:36
Susan: I haven't no.
Deborah Enos: Okay, so CHIA seeds are a really phenomenal source of omega-3 fatty acids. They are starting to become more popular in the US and they have been probably in the US for sale for probably a couple of years now where it is kind of a little bit more mainstream.
00:42:56 People still don't know much about it so you are going to use it in a really similar way that you would use flaxseed. And so if the flaxseed is working for you, I would probably just stick with that. But if you are starting to notice that your skin is changing or you are not feeling good when you are getting up in the morning, I would do a little research on these CHIA seeds or the Evening Primrose oil and that might be a really good alternative.
Paula Begoun: So Deborah, let me ask you, having just come back from Hawaii and they are selling coconuts on the side of the road and coconut water and I bought a thing of coconut oil.
00:43:37 And I understand that it doesn't contain omega fatty acids but it contains a different form of fatty acids that is supposed to be just rocketing for your body?
Deborah Enos: It is super regenerative to your body inside and out and I do a lot of travel and I get so sick of going through security with all of these bags.
00:44:00 So I actually travel with a small container of coconut oil and I use it from everything from a skin moisturizer to taking off my eye makeup to getting rid of frizzies in my hair. So coconut oil is absolutely phenomenal and if I am making maybe brownies for the kids on the weekend, I will actually use coconut oil in place of vegetable oil. I'm not a big fan of vegetable oil.
00:44:28 So I would use coconut oil. It is going to be a really, really just a rich source of heart healthy, brain healthy fat. And in fact just his week Dr. Oz had coconut oil on his show. And it was just really touting the benefits of how important coconut oil was. And people used to think I was crazy that I actually used it as a moisturizer and all of these different things, but he said he does the same thing.
Paula Begoun: So is that another way to – other than omega fatty acids, there is great fatty acids that aren't necessarily omega but have regenerative and healing and take care of our bones –
00:45:07
Deborah Enos: That's true, but you are really going to want to focus on the omega-3s. And that is going to come from fish being the primary source. But if not fish, really look into the flaxseed or the CHIA or Evening Primrose oil.
Paula Begoun: So Susan, before I let you go, tell me your skin type and we will send you some Paula's Choice products.
Susan: Well I use pretty much your skin recovery system and in fact at night my skin is so dry and that is why I was kind of thinking I need to get something in my body to help it, but I actually put grape seed oil with the skin recovery.
Deborah Enos: Great.
00:45:47
Susan: So would coconut oil be something better to use?
Deborah Enos: Grape seed oil is phenomenal. It is really, really high in antioxidants and I actually alternate so I might use grape seed oil as a moisturizer and then I switch to coconut and I go back and forth.
00:46:05 So you are really on the ball. You really [unintelligible].
Susan: Well I have been wearing Paula for years. Beautypedia – I don't buy anything without looking there.
Paula Begoun: So Susan and Deborah, just to be clear, so grape seed oil is a very good oil. It isn't as good, in terms of the benefits you get in comparison to coconut oil or olive oil.
00:46:33 Olive oil is a more, the extra virgin olive oil versus how they process grape seed oil, you are just going to do better, the art of olive oil pressing just keeps it – when you get the extra, extra virgin stuff it just is so much purer and better and then the research I have been doing lately on coconut oil because Susan you are going to be happy to know we are working on, and I know my product development director is going to be really upset when I say this because I always talk about products we are working on way before they are going to be available.
00:47:12 Extra dry skin product for the skin recovery line. And one of the oils we are looking at is indeed coconut oil. But you can use my skin recovery moisturizer. I'm going to send you some more of the skin recovery line.
00:47:28 I'm also going to send you my Beautiful Body Butter because you can also use that on other parts of your body. In fact I will send you two of them so you can slather up. But take that coconut oil after you have put on the skin recovery and put a thin layer of that on skin just the way Deborah was saying and your skin is going to be so much happier and especially with this diet that Deborah is suggesting you can add into your diet one day at a time in 60 seconds in her "Weight a Minute" book. I think you will be looking gorgeous and we will send you out those new products.
00:48:06
Susan: Oh, thank you so much.
Paula Begoun: Alright, take care Susan.
Bryan Barron: Hey Deborah?
Deborah Enos: Yes.
Bryan Barron: I had a quick question concerning the recent debate about butter versus buttery spreads and I know that the whole issue of trans-fatty acids is much more in the public consciousness now.
00:48:30 And I think as a result though of people avoiding stick margarine and what not because of the trans-fats, a lot more people, myself included, have gone back to using butter. But I know, I mean fat is fat. And is that really a better alternative or should we be looking at those healthy, Smart Balanced type spreads that don't use the trans-fat?
Paula Begoun: Oh, I know what she is going to say. I so know what is coming! And so Bryan – oh, sorry, Deborah, I will let you answer.
00:49:04
Deborah Enos: I'm a big fan of butter. I'm a big fan of organic butter. Especially when the cows are feeding on grass. I mean that is the way god made cows – they are supposed to eat grass.
Bryan Barron: I recently started enjoying grass fed beef. I read a book by Michael Pollan called "The Omnivore's Dilemma."
Deborah Enos: Isn't that a wonderful book?
Bryan Barron: Outstanding book for anyone who wants to think more about what they put into their bodies.
00:49:36 And the difference in taste is amazing. And I was really surprised to find out that grass fed beef, whether it is ground or in a state or whatever is a great source of omega-3s.
Deborah Enos: It is a great source of omega-3s. And so it is not something you are going to be able to eat every day, it is expensive and you don't want red meat that often, but butter from grass fed cows is something that can be a daily part of your healthy diet.
00:50:06 I mean the nutritional benefits of grass fed products are just unbelievable. It is just absolutely incredible. And so I would definitely walk away from margarine. I was on the margarine bandwagon 20 years ago and I thought, gee, I can again have my cake and eat it too.
00:50:29 But butter is something your body recognizes. You body doesn't recognize hydrogenated trans-fats. And the challenging thing about hydrogenated fats and staying away from them is that they can still be in the product even though on the front of the label it says "No Trans Fats." And that is one of the real challenges of just being an average food consumer in America. And I love hot chocolate; I drink it a lot in the winter here in Seattle and I was at a supermarket a few months ago.
00:51:02 And it said on the front, "No Trans Fatty Acids" which is a hydrogenated fat. And I thought, that's great. It is almost impossible to find hot chocolate that doesn't have hydrogenated fat. Well I flipped it over, it was the number one ingredient.
And I thought, oh my gosh, how can this happen.
Paula Begoun: Okay, so you need to – Deborah, you need to re-title your book, "Don't go to the grocery store without me." I'm sorry, finish what you were going to say. I'm sorry, go on.
00:51:34
Deborah Enos: And so I started researching it and what I discovered is that it is legal to say that you don't have trans-fatty or hydrogenated fats in your food product as long as it is just slightly under a serving. So it is a way to kind of fly under the radar. So as long as there is not "X" amount in it, you can say you don't have it.
00:52:00
Paula Begoun: Processed foods. Processed foods. So Deborah – actually Bryan, how do you know it is grass fed, Deborah, how do you know it is grass fed butter?
Bryan Barron: I was wondering the same thing.
Paula Begoun: How do you know that?
Deborah Enos: Well it will actually say on there because it is going to be, unfortunately, more expensive. But you know butter, gosh, I mean how much is it a pound, $5 bucks for a pound of butter. I mean that is going to last you, I mean for most people probably like six months.
Paula Begoun: Well you are talking about not eating very much of it right?
00:52:31
Deborah Enos: Not eating very much. And when I use butter, like if I put it on my toast in the morning, I don't cut a piece off and then it breaks apart on my toast and then there are big hunks of butter everywhere. I just peel the –
Bryan Barron: You are not eating butter like Kirstie Alley does.
Deborah Enos: What?
Bryan Barron: You are not eating butter like Kirstie Alley does.
Deborah Enos: That's right. Slathering it all over myself.
Bryan Barron: Poor thing. I read an article about her trying to lose weight and she admitted that she would literally take giant pads of butter and go through sticks of butter on saltines.
Deborah Enos: Oh no!
Bryan Barron: I'm not making it up and –
00:53:09
Paula Begoun: That's actually making me a little nauseous. But I want to make sure we get one more call in because we are almost done and Denise from California has a great question. Desiree, can you unmute Denise from California. Hi Denise.
00:53:25
Denise: Hi Paula. You sound a lot like Kat James. Her philosophies about eating. And one of her big things is a very low glycemic diet where you don't raise sugars spike at all in your diet. And it really helps. She is talking about grass fed. What you are saying about the UVB – everything you are saying is what she is saying. I do use palm sugar. What do you think about that?
00:54:00
Paula Begoun: Well first, real quick Deborah, do you agree with the concept of not making, being conscious of your glycemic index?
Deborah Enos: I think it is really, really important. Your body really likes to have level blood sugar levels. And it really feels like it is in a bit of a state of emergency when you overdo it on sugar. And that could be a big white flower bagel that you have first thing in the morning. That is going to turn into sugar pretty quickly into your system or a big glass of orange juice.
00:54:34 And so your body likes to be nice and even. It likes to be nice and level. What it does, is when you have too much sugar and your blood sugar goes off the charts it is going to really set your insulin off and it is going to raise your insulin levels. It is just very hard on the body. And it is going to be reflected in lots of different areas in your body, including your skin. And that is going to be where that, the collagen is not replenishing.
00:55:02
Paula Begoun: So Deborah, we are running low here, so Denise is asking, so is palm sugar bad for you?
Deborah Enos: So you are talking about coconut palm sugar?
Denise: Yes, yes, coconut palm sugar because it says on the package low glycemic, because it tastes just like sugar, it is wonderful. I was wondering what you think about that.
00:55:25
Deborah Enos: Well, it is usually blended with just white regular cane sugar.
Denise: No, this is pure. I get it from Whole Foods.
Deborah Enos: Oh, you do. Okay. Well you know that is a really good question. And most of the ones I have seen have always been blended with either just white table sugar or malt sugar which can raise your blood sugar levels. But if you have found one that is completely pure, it is probably going to be similar to like an agave syrup where it is not going to be spiking your blood sugar as much.
00:56:02 But you know what I could do is check on that for you and perhaps in can give that information to Paula and you can check in with her about it. But I would really have to find one that is not blended.
Paula Begoun: So for Denise we will check that out for you. But Denise, tell me your skin type so I can send you some –
Denise: Well, okay, I'm 56. My skin is dry. I'm getting a little wrinkles around. I stay out of the sun.
Paula Begoun: And what products are you using right now?
00:56:37
Denise: Well at this time really nothing.
Paula Begoun: Well we will start you on something.
Denise: I use Retin-A once in a while but it is just too harsh and drying.
Paula Begoun: It would be, I don't have time to go through your whole skincare routine, but what I am going to send you to play with is I am going to send you my skin recovery group of products as well as the new Resist group of products and you can experiment and see. You are going to get a whole bunch of stuff in the mail and what you don't like you give to somebody else you like a lot and help them with their skin. Because I don't have time to go over each, all of the different parts.
00:57:12 But we will get you going on a good skincare routine and I have to say goodbye and I have to say goodbye to Deborah Enos. Thank you, Denise. Deborah, you are wonderful. We have to have you back. It's a great book.
Deborah Enos: I would love to. I'm a big fan. I would love to come back.
00:57:27
Paula Begoun: But I have to tell you, you aren't a one-minute wellness coach because you have way too much information. But in her book, when you read it all condensed down and edited it really is a day-by-day great little – really is. You can use this book like a daily calendar to start doing things the way it is going to make a difference for your body, your brain, your bones and your skin because we are going to make sure we all look beautiful by being beautifully informed. Deborah Enos is one of the ways we are going to do that. Her book, "Weight a Minute," W-E-I-G-H-T, "Transform your Health in 60 seconds a day."
00:58:02 Thank you Deborah. We are going to you have back. Is that okay?
Deborah Enos: Oh, I would love it. I'd love it. Thanks so much for having me on, Paula.
Paula Begoun: Alright, take care Deborah, talk to you next time. So, this was too good. Deborah has absolutely got to come back. So this is Paula Begoun, the Cosmetics Cop, with my Cosmetics Cop team – Desiree Stordahl, actually we are the Paula's Choice team now. Oh my god, I can't believe I said the old team. We are a new team. We are Paula's Choice team.
00:58:30 Bryan Barron, Desiree Stordahl. Next week we are going to talk about the five skincare products you absolutely don't need. You are going to be shocked. We are going to surprise all of you and save you, over years of buying products, hundreds and hundreds of dollars, maybe even thousands of dollars.
By the way, remember Beautypedia.com is free through the end of February so you can go check out all of the new products you are seeing advertised, what to buy, what not to buy. So that is the third.
00:59:00 On the tenth we are going to talk about how to create your own spa day at home without spending a fortune or hurting your skin because a lot of the products you pick up at spas you do not want to take home because they can be problematic. On the 17th of February we are going to talk about dealing with menopause, skincare and all so menopause doesn't take a toll on your skin and maybe we can help you out a little bit with the emotions at the same time. So until next week, I'm Paula Begoun the Cosmetics Cop with my Paula's Choice team.
00:59:34 Stay beautifully informed by listening, tuning in whenever you can by checking us out on archives, of course visiting us on Beautypedia.com for reviews of thousands and thousands of products and those reviews are free through the end of February. And, come visit Paula's Choice and take care. Enjoy the rest of the week. Bye bye.
585632-IIS4 v1.0.0.348 10/31/2014 2:03:52 AM
Skip to Top of Page
FREE Shipping on Everything   |   FREE Antioxidant Retinol Serum on $50+   |   5 FREE Samples

Create an Account

Create Account»
  • »

New Customers

You will have the option to create an account after you have submitted your order.