The Anti-Wrinkle Diet Foods that Will Make You Look Younger

Airdate: 9/22/2011

Nutrition Expert Deborah Enos joins the program to show us how certain foods cause your skin and body to age and look older than you are. Get anti-inflammation diet tips to reduce wrinkles, sagging skin, improve skin color, and make you look years younger from head to toe. Find out what you can do NOW to curb inflammation simply by changing what you eat, and discover the secret to an anti-aging diet plan.

Paula Begoun: Hello, I'm Paula Begoun, the Cosmetics Cop, here on BlogTalkRadio, "Keeping you Beautifully Informed." We are doing it live from New York tonight, well at least I'm in New York. Desiree Stordahl, my producer and assistant, and Bryan Barron, my co-author and better half of my brain for many years are keeping you beautifully informed in many parts of the world.
00:00:35 And how you guys doing?
Desiree Stordahl: We are doing good.
Bryan Barron: Hanging in there.
Paula Begoun: It's raining here and it's not raining in Seattle. What's wrong with this picture?
Desiree Stordahl: It's actually been a pretty warm day. But you know what, it's been muggy out. It's got this cloud cover and it feels icky. So, don't really be too jealous.
Paula Begoun: It's raining here in New York. And it's muggy. I can't believe I leave Seattle when the sun comes out. This is so not fair. But one of the reasons I am here is because I came to do the Dr. Oz Show.
00:01:12 And we taped on Monday which was one of the more interesting experiences in my very long career of doing TV. But before…I do have to carry on a bit about what happened on the Dr. Oz Show, but tonight's topic I am like so into this topic these days. We are going to be talking with author and nutrition expert Deborah Enos about her anti-wrinkle diet, foods that will make you look younger and it is almost a guarantee that if you follow what she says - all of those ads that say they will take five and ten years off, make you look younger - she really will make you look younger if you can even follow just half of what she is going to tell us.
00:02:00 I've followed a good amount of what…well except I am kind of back a little bit on the Splenda. Not a lot of Splenda, just a little itty bit of Splenda. But I am just using one pack a day. But that is down from, I don't even want to say how many. But I actually have lost 25 pounds following, I wouldn't say everything; some of it is just the way I am doing my life, but pretty much it follows what Deborah says. So my hips are in homage to Deborah Enos, author of "Weight a Minute: Transform your Health in 60 seconds a day."
00:02:38 Well I eat more than 60 seconds a day, but she will tell us why it only takes 60 seconds a day. And we are going to give away her book if we take your calls. So call in on 347-426-3783, that is the United State's phone number, 347-426-3783. And we will take your question. You will get Paula's Choice products and Deborah's book.
00:03:02 But let me just, before we talk to Deborah, I have to tell you what happened on the Oz Show. So, the thing about the Oz Show is I was there to talk about my Cosmetics Cop role and talk about what some of the new products that were available for things like brown spots and wrinkles. So that is what I was on for. But the thing about the show was that everybody on the show, the audience, the other guests - we weren't allowed to wear makeup.
00:03:32 Nobody was wearing makeup. And it is kind of interesting - the co-host of the show was this female dermatologist, Dr. [Chapis] who without makeup I swear looked like she was 15 years old. She looked like she should by wearing, I mean she did, she looked like a kid. In fact, I was asking, so where is the doctor and it was her! Oh my god, and especially with her haircut - it was kind of a long bobby thing she had going.
00:04:01 So when I heard that I was not supposed to wear makeup and after 32 years of doing television and all of a sudden not being able to wear makeup, I did have a bit of a panic attack. And I wasn't going to cheat. I wasn't going to cheat. But Daynah, one of our Paula's Choice Research Team, because we are doing a new thing where we are doing personal experiences with some of our research and bang for your buck, is it worth it.
00:04:33 And one of the things Daynah had done when she had one - lash extensions, Desiree, is that what they call it?
Desiree Stordahl: Yes, lash extensions.
Paula Begoun: So eyelash extensions. It is like wearing false eyelashes except they are relatively permanent because each individual false eyelash is adhered to your lash, your individual eyelash, with a medical surgical adhesive.
00:05:02 And then until your lash falls off or you pick off the false eyelash you have false eyelashes on. Except it really does look like your own lashes. I mean it really does look like your own lashes. So Daynah had had that done a couple of weeks ago and everyone in the office is oohing and ahhing over Daynah's lash extensions and I thought, well you know, lash extensions really aren't makeup. And so I went and had lash extensions done. And I've got to tell you, it was a two-hour experience.
00:05:33 Actually, I don't know that everybody who does lash extensions would be quite as diligent as this young woman in Bellevue, Washington where I had it done, Kimberley, would be. But oh my lord, my lashes look great. And you really can't tell. I mean everybody kind of is commenting on my lashes and I kind of get a double take, but it doesn't look like mascara and it doesn't look like false eyelashes. It just looks like - so I felt somewhat less naked going on air with my false eyelashes.
00:06:04 But there I was, all pale and pasty and shiny on Dr. Oz. So I went through it, and even Dr. Oz, I've got to tell you, Dr. Oz without makeup is a pretty pasty little guy. We have to figure out when the show is going to air and tell everybody so everybody can watch and let me know how good or bad I looked on air with my fake eyelashes.
00:06:32 But the other thing that happened, so we had gotten asked a few times now about this at-home laser thing you could buy and use called Palo Via. And Palo Via is an interesting little machine because it is, indeed, a laser. There is no question about it. It is exactly the same nanometer wavelength that a physician would use as a laser to treat fine lines.
00:07:03 In this case the Palo Via, and they make a big deal about it being clinically tested. They definitely have some kind of study they mention that shows that it is clinically tested. But it is not a published study. Seems to be a group of women who all said, "Yeah, we looked better." And when I asked for the published study, they were, "Well it will be published, so we can't show you anything." And I'm thinking, well, if it is going to be, just give me a sneak preview.
00:07:36 We will let go of that one for a second. So, the Oz Show wanted me to talk about this, if I felt that it was a worthwhile procedure. And I said, well, it really is a real thing. It is a real laser. It doesn't have the energy output, that god, that a physician would use, but it is a real deal, it's a laser.
00:08:00 And so they delivered it to my room when I got in on Monday in New York and I tested it. I followed it to the T. I followed the booklet instructions to the T and I tested it on my forearm and I turned red, welted up, and it hurt. I mean there is no question. And then I thought, well, maybe, who knows. I will do it again in the morning and see what happens. I will do it on the low setting. Because they tell you to start out on the high setting. So I started out on the high setting.
00:08:29 And then the next morning I did the low thing and it just burned and welted up less. So when I got to the show I tested it on one of the producers and she got red and welted up. And so I went on set, because I was supposed to test it on Dr. Oz. He wasn't interested. So they pulled it from the show; they didn't actually have it on the show.
00:08:54 Now I don't want to say that what happened on the inside of my arm means that it couldn't be of benefit. It's just, there is no real research showing that that is the case. The way they recommend using it is a bit [unintelligible] because they recommend using that around - this is for fine lines around the eyes, the crow's feet, once a day for 30 days. And then the follow up is like once a week. I mean it is really intense, repeated treatments. And then if you a woman, so how did your lines work, well if she could tolerate the treatment, you would be so swollen.
00:09:33 I mean my arm, I still am welted up on the inside of my arm and I only did it once. I don't know how you would differentiate whether or not you actually produced collagen or you just swelled up and irritated the skin. So Palo Via, the long story short - it definitely is a laser, it is an at-home laser. It is approved by the FDA for safety, not for efficacy.
00:10:00 It's what they call a 510 approval. That is like wheelchairs have 510 approvals. Latex gloves are a class 2 medical device like this is. So it is about safety. The FDA clearance doesn't tell you anything about efficacy. And they don't have any research published saying what it does exactly. So, it is expensive, it is a laser, and I don't know what else to say. I wouldn't use it.
Bryan Barron: Buyer Beware.
Paula Begoun: Buyer Beware. And some of it is I am a wuss. I have the worst pain tolerance.
00:10:41 I am like the biggest coward. I mean I get a lot of stuff done, but I am not a pain person. OH, one other thing. I meant to mention this on the show last week. So I started noticing for a few months now that I was losing my eyebrow hair. And I love my eyebrows and it was freaking me out. And it finally dawned on me, because I use Minoxidil - I have some, what they call female pattern hair loss at my hair line or male pattern baldness that women get after 40. You can start losing hair just like a guy at around your hair line. Not as pronounced as guys usually, but absolutely it can happen. I started having that happen.
00:11:32 I freaked out many years ago and started using Minoxidil. I have been using Minoxidil at my hair line on a regular basis for, I don't even know how long, because it stopped the hair loss. The hair loss, in fact, not only stopped, the hair grew back. I still see a little thinning that I wish I would correct but in comparison to what was happening, I am a Minoxidil girl. And I use it fairly religiously because when I stop the hair starts falling out and then I am not a happy camper.
00:12:02 So I thought, you know, I will try it on my eyebrows. And sure enough, I'm seeing hair growth. It is just so nice. And it didn't take that long, really. I've been using it now for about six weeks or so and it is wonderful. I use a little brush to get it on the skin, because just putting it on the hair doesn't work. It has to be on the skin. And my brows are coming back. Yay! Well the idea of losing my brow, because I have nice eyebrows.
00:12:40 I've always had nice eyebrows. So, yes, I am very happy about that. A little Minoxidil on my brows. It's not indicated on the label. It is not what you are supposed to do with it. Where did I read that about applying it with a Q-tip? I think that was some recommendation I ran into years ago when Minoxidil first came out, Rogaine first came out which Minoxidil is the active ingredient. It worked out, it just worked out.
00:13:09 Okay, so I am carrying on. Was there something else I was going to mention? I'm sure there is. But let's talk to, so Deborah Enos, are you there?
Deborah Enos: I am here. I'm loving your stories.
Paula Begoun: Hi Deborah Enos; how are you?
Deborah Enos: I am great. And I actually also thought about using Minoxidil on my eyebrows.
Paula Begoun: Are you losing your eyebrow hair, too?
Deborah Enos: My eyebrows, yeah. And one of the reasons why women can lose their eyebrows is actually an indication of some hormonal changes.
00:13:43 But also an underactive thyroid.
Paula Begoun: No kidding, your hair in general or your eyebrow hair in general?
Deborah Enos: Eyebrows. Specifically the outer edge of the eyebrow.
Paula Begoun: You are kidding, an underactive thyroid?
Deborah Enos: Isn't it crazy. Yes. So next time you go in for a check-up, get your vitamin D tested and all of those things that doctors are starting to do now.
00:14:08 But also ask them, hey, let's look at thyroid panel and just see how my thyroid is operating.
Paula Begoun: You know, it is interesting, I have been very proactive these days. Actually, let me tell everybody who Deborah Enos is. Deborah Enos is a wellness coach, not only motivational speaker but a REAL motivational speaker and author of the "Weight a Minute: Transform your Health in 60 seconds a day" book.
00:14:38 She is definitely inspirational. She has helped me change the way I eat and do think around my diet. I have lost 25 pounds. I'm looking very hot these days.
Deborah Enos: Oh my gosh, that's great. I love it.
Paula Begoun: And I want you to know, one of the things Deborah is going to talk about, because this is about an anti-inflammation diet, and we have been talking about that you say that there is research showing that if you don't floss, which means you would have inflamed gums, people who floss on a regular basis actually live two to five years longer?
Deborah Enos: Five to seven years longer than people who don't floss on a daily basis.
00:15:24 Crazy.
Paula Begoun: No way!
Deborah Enos: I know. And what I tell people, because I had a friend years ago who was a dentist and I was complaining to him, I was saying Andy I hate flossing. And he goes, that's stupid, I'll make it really simple. Just floss the ones you want to keep.
Paula Begoun: Just floss the ones…
Deborah Enos: Totally convicted. So now I am flossing all the time.
Paula Begoun: I have got to say, I'm not always good. Now I don't know what the research would be about this, I am not always good at brushing at night because I can't brush in bed, but I can floss in bed. So I'm actually really good -
00:16:01 Because I keep the floss next to my bed. I'm actually really good. I do floss twice a day. But I have got to find out if brushing my teeth - but I am not so good at night about, because you can't take the brush to bed and it takes a long time. But separate from that. So just to go back to - I lost my train of thought - something about Deborah and eating and I lost my train of thought. Deborah, tell me, I'm sure I will get back to it, but tell me what is an anti-inflammatory diet?
Deborah Enos: Well, great question.
00:16:33 You started with the flossing. And it is interesting. I ran into a lady in Bellevue, Washington yesterday and she works in a dental office. And I said, hey, I'm going to be on Paula's radio show tomorrow, I'm talking about flossing. And she said, you know, people in the dental community have been talking for years about how when there is inflammation in the mouth it can be systemic. I mean you basically swallow that inflammation and it is going to inflame all kinds of different areas in your body.
00:17:06 And so flossing is just a really simple way to prevent that from happening. So, I guess we will start with why is inflammation bad, because it doesn't sound very bad. Wow, big deal, it's a little inflammation. But I remember about five years ago I saw the cover of Time Magazine, and the cover said we will all die from inflammation. And I thought, well gosh, that is not very great.
00:17:32 That doesn't sound very good. But then when I read the article I thought, oh my gosh, this is so accurate because high blood pressure is inflammation. Cancer is inflammation. Rheumatoid Arthritis, heart disease, Alzheimer's and senile dementia are all issues of areas that have been inflamed in our body. So, if we can decrease the body's level of inflammation, we can have abundant health and possibly prevent some of these life-threatening diseases that are running rampant in the US right now.
Paula Begoun: You know, I've got to tell you something interesting that was a turning point in my life.
00:18:25 I have struggled with weight all of my life. I have been up and down in weight, mostly up, and very heavy, and 50, 60 pounds overweight at any given time. But my blood pressure was always fine. My cholesterol was - all of health signs came in fine. And then all of a sudden last year my blood pressure shot up. I was borderline for everything. I was borderline for [diabetes], I was borderline for everything. And I thought to myself, you know I wasn't exercising, I'm eating like an idiot. And I thought to myself and my new mantra has been, you know, I know I am going to die but I don't want to die of stupidity.
Deborah Enos: That's good.
Paula Begoun: I know better.
00:19:20 Cheetos, well I actually don't eat Cheetos, but potato chips, and whatever it is that I know I shouldn't be eating, that is putting me into high blood pressure and putting me into diabetes category and I'm thinking, and diet changes all of that. So sure enough I start exercising. I started eating right, eating healthy - fruits, vegetables, low fat, minimal red meat, lots of fish, and only whole grains, and portion control. I use FitLife or FitDay.com and watched my calorie intake.
00:19:59 And my blood pressure went down. All of my numbers are back to not only normal but normal for a 40-year old.
Deborah Enos: Isn't that great? And the amazing thing about that is you just described an anti-inflammation diet and lifestyle.
Paula Begoun: So tell me more about that. What am I doing right?
Deborah Enos: There are a lot of foods that are on the planet that are going to cause more inflammation in your body. And so basically what happens when you have inflammation, perfect example. I was out with some friends over the weekend and one of these guys, kind of just a big barrel chested guy, lots of belly fat, with a really ruddy, red complexion with lots of broken blood vessels on his complexion.
00:20:54 Now to me, I can now instantly look at somebody and say, wow buddy, you've got a lot of inflammation going on. So, when you have inflammation in your body, it can't help but come out on your skin, especially on your face and usually your neck. So what you do on the inside will eventually, as time goes on, it is going to come out on the outside.
00:21:19 So when it comes to inflammation foods, some of the worst ones on the planet are bad fats and sugar. So if you think about how busy we all are today and we are doing a lot more convenience foods and we are going through drive thrus and maybe we have good intentions of not eating the French fries but then we eat the French fries, well all of these high fat foods and lots of sugar and lots of sodium really inflames your body so next thing you know years and years go by if you continue to eat like this, you may end up with some of these chronic diseases such as the diabetes, the high blood pressure, high cholesterol.
00:22:03 And even worse, if some of these run in your family, like the senile dementia or the Alzheimer's.
Paula Begoun: So, Deborah, let me ask you a question because this question comes up a lot. In fact, it was funny, I just heard somebody say on the airplane that they were a nutritionist and you shouldn't eat salt but if you eat sea salt that is good for you or some kind of salt from somewhere - just as long as it doesn't have a kid on it with an umbrella, you know with the little navy blue container.
00:22:39 And the other thing is sugar. Well people will say, well if it is honey or if it is this or if it is that, and I pretty much know, although you will tell me, that the research is clear that it doesn't matter the source of sugar, good or bad, even good sugars that come from whole fruits and that - high sugar, sugar in any form, causes something called [ages], accelerated or [acetal] glycation end product that just tears arteries apart and collagen apart. And salt, doesn't matter what form it is in, it puts pressure on your arteries. And that is not good.
Deborah Enos: Right, it is not.
00:23:26 To tackle the sugar question, there are, I don't even know how many different forms of sugar are on the planet, but there is a lot. And then there is the really icky kinds which are the aspartame, the Splenda, we will talk about that off-show right?
Paula Begoun: Only one pack a day. Deborah, one pack a day!
Deborah Enos: Which is a huge improvement because I know you used to have a lot more. So I am very proud of you. And you know, every day just make it a little bit better. So you made huge improvements. You know, being healthy isn't about perfection, it is just trying every day to be a little bit better than you were yesterday.
Paula Begoun: So let me just remind everybody that we are talking to Deborah Enos who is a wellness coach and all-around nutritional genius.
00:24:18 Her book "Weight a Minute: Transform your Health in 60 seconds a day." And you can visit her on her website at DeborahEnos.com. And she has a newsletter you can sign up for and her cute little reminders every day. Actually they are not so cute, they are really interesting, about - not every day, but on a somewhat regular basis, about taking care of yourself. So tell me about the sugar issue and the salt issue. Is there such a thing as a good sugar or a good salt?
Deborah Enos: Yeah, you know, there is a good form of sugar on the planet. And what it is called is the sugar that comes in a piece of fruit. So, when you are eating sugar, and it has a little bit of fiber with it, like I am describing an apple right now.
00:25:06 I just had an apple before we went on the air. Yes, it has sugar. It is an all-natural form of sugar but it has still got sugar in it. But, the good news is that I had it with a big bunch of fiber plus the apple has a ton of water in it. it is almost like having a small glass of water when you have an apple. So, it is not going to react in my body as intensely as if I would have had a cup of coffee and put two packets of sugar in it.
00:25:34 When you have a cup of coffee and you throw sugar in it or you have a Frappuccino. Or you have something else that is really sweet, what happens is it hits your bloodstream so hard that it really can cause a lot of inflammation, it is going to cause your mood to go off the charts and then you are going to fall down and be really grumpy and moody. And what it also does is it causes a huge insulin reaction in your body and your body considers it really a stressful situation so it is going to send out insulin to try to grab up all that excess sugar as fast as it can.
00:26:09 Every time you stress your body out, it is going to cause inflammation and that's why I love sugar, I grew up on Pop Tarts and cinnamon rolls. So it is kind of crazy that I am actually even in this industry, but what I have learned is that when I have a lot of sugar, not only does my skin get red and blotchy, I mean the inflammation hits me really hard, probably because I don't have that much sugar these days. But my mood is off the charts.
00:26:39 Then I crash. Then nobody wants to be around me. The bottom line is I'm okay with the sugars you are going to get from an apple or an orange, but I am not okay with the sugar you are going to get from a glass of orange juice or a glass of apple juice. The reason why is there is no fiber and there is no skin. In that fruit juice it is going to slow down this crazy accelerating sugar train in your body.
00:27:08 So if I have a client who is having ten pieces of fruit a day and no vegetables, I'm going to put the stop on that because I think probably two to three servings of fruit a day is a really reasonable level. It always needs to be balanced with vegetables. And truth be told, I would rather have you have more vegetables than fruit, again because of the sugar content.
00:27:30 But the safest from of sugar on the planet is going to come from a fruit. The worst source of sugar on the planet is going to be like a liquid form of sugar, meaning like the simple syrups when you get kinds of coffee and tea drinks. That has twenty packets of sugar in there. It just hits your body so hard and it does cause that aging process as you were just mentioning. And it is hard on your arteries and your collagen.
Paula Begoun: Right, it destroys collagen. Actually -
Deborah Enos: It does.
Paula Begoun: Not even like a built up situation, it is within the moment that the damage -
Deborah Enos: And it doesn't regenerate. Yeah.
Paula Begoun: You actually can get collagen replacement but not if you are constantly destroying it. Eventually it will give up -
Deborah Enos: Exactly. And so if you are having huge amounts of sugar, three or four times a day, you are never giving your body a chance to regenerate.
Paula Begoun: Deborah, I cut you off, you were going to say that I know that you can regenerate collagen in the skin, that there is no question that there is research about that. But you say there is research that you can't regenerate collagen that is supporting the arteries. Is that where you were going with that?
Deborah Enos: No, what I was saying is if you have that constant terrible diet where you are not giving yourself antioxidants and you are doing sugar, copious amounts of sugar three or four times a day, you are basically never allowing that collagen to recover.
00:29:15 You are not allowing your body to regenerate that process.
Paula Begoun: Exactly. What about the salt? And then I would like to talk to Lena because I love her question.
Deborah Enos: Okay, I'm actually a big fan of salt. And here's why. Healthy sea salt which is, you know, salt in its truest form, it actually does have a high amount of minerals in it. So it really is - I mean I can't say it is a vitamin pill, I'm not going to go that far. But what I will say, the healthiest foods in the planet come from the sea. So, if you are going to have salt, definitely switch over. Switch from your table salt to your sea salt.
00:29:57 The sea salt is going to have a lot more minerals. Yes, there is iodine in the table salt and there is not going to be the high levels of iodine in the sea salt. And iodine is very important. But I highly recommend to my clients to have food from the sea almost on a daily basis if you can. What that might mean is you have salmon three days a week. There are some really good products out on the market like seaweed chips and different things where now people are starting to eat more of these high mineral foods that come from the ocean.
00:30:32 And so I am a big fan of sea salt. Most of us get plenty of table salt if we dine out at least three or four times a week. So, again, we have to be careful with the salt. About 1,800 milligrams a day is about our limit. So we do need to be careful and really careful about over-salting our food or eating fast food.
Bryan Barron: Deborah, is that limit for women and men? Or are you just speaking to females ears?
Deborah Enos: No. It's about the same. Did you ask about the milligrams for men versus women?
Bryan Barron: Yeah, because you always see men need this much calcium and women need this much. So I was just curious if sodium differs.
Deborah Enos: Yes. I have seen some research that says men can go up to about 2,200 milligrams a day.
00:31:17 But that would be the absolute limit. And if you think about -
Bryan Barron: Or one fast food meal at McDonald's probably.
Deborah Enos: Exactly. And I was having this discussion with a client the other day and they just love going out for hotdogs. I try not to do that too often, maybe once every couple of years. But one hotdog in most cases is your sodium for the entire day.
Paula Begoun: I think it is even more than that. Where do I remember reading -?
Deborah Enos: Yeah, it's amazing.
Paula Begoun: Well processed foods in general. And that is one of the major things I gave up was processed foods.
00:32:02 So, we are talking to Deborah Enos, wellness coach, nutrition expert. Her website, DeborahEnos.com. You could go visit her there. Desiree, can we talk to Lena?
Desiree Stordahl: We've got her on the line.
Paula Begoun: Hey Lena, you broke your leg?
Lena: Yes, I did, two weeks ago when I moved into my apartment. Only two nights and fell down the steps and broke my leg.
Paula Begoun: No! So are you in a cast or in one of those air boots? What are you doing?
Lena: Yes, like a boot. It's pretty good because you can take it off and put it on.
00:32:41 It's not like the old type cast that you have to keep on and they are uncomfortable and heavy.
Paula Begoun: So Lena, you are asking what?
Lena: Well I am a little concerned about putting on some weight. I had just started working out and I was being really good and trying to eat right and then all of a sudden this happened and I am like, oh boy, I'm not going to be able to work out for at least 8 weeks.
Paula Begoun: So Deborah, any ideas?
Deborah Enos: Yes. So is it a full cast or is it just a boot?
Lena: Yeah, it's a boot. I fractured my tibia bone.
Deborah Enos: Okay.
00:33:20 So, a couple of things. One is you can still do a full upper body workout. You can have exercise bands. You can get two to five pound weights. And I broke my leg actually in quite a few places about 12 years ago and I had just got done losing 40 pounds. And I remember sitting on this - I was downhill skiing - and I remember sitting on the mountain crying, thinking "oh my gosh, I just lost 40 pounds. I'm going to gain it all back."
00:33:50 So, here is what I did, Lena, to make sure that I didn't gain it back. I got those hand weights. I would sit in my little desk chair, make sure my back is nice and supported. I went online. I found an entire upper body workout that I could do with small weights. I got exercise bands. Once my boot was smaller I actually started walking. I went ahead and started walking. The other thing I did is once the boot was removed I started walking in a pool.
00:34:20 I joined a gym and walked in the pool. Now the cool thing about that is when you are in the water you automatically tighten up your abdominals so it is like you are getting a full core workout every time you are in the water. So, don't despair. You absolutely can keep that weight off and even continue to lose weight. In fact, by the time I got the cast off my doctor said I actually think you are in better shape than before your accident.
00:34:46 And I said, you know what, I agree with you. Because I had to be really diligent and I really had to make sure I got my upper body workout in because that really was going to drive my metabolism while I was convalescing with this broken leg.
Paula Begoun: You know, actually it is interesting. By the way, Lena, we are going to send you Deborah Enos' book, oh gosh, all of a sudden I am forgetting the name of your book.
Deborah Enos: "Weight a Minute."
Paula Begoun: You know what it is, can you believe it, "Weight a Minute." Like I just said that - wait a minute. Wait a minute. "Weight a Minute" is the name of Deborah's book - Transform your health in 60 seconds a day.
00:35:25 So, Lena, we are going to send you that. But I've got to tell you, I think that there is a blessing in the middle of your poor broken leg. I hate saying that that there is a blessing when you are in pain and laid up like that. But you know, as somebody who has struggled with weight loss and eating and wanting to be healthy, I know how easy it is to fall into the trap of just doing aerobics. Of just thinking I will run it off, I will elliptical it off. The longer I stay on the treadmill, the better.
00:36:00 And after 30, 45 minutes I am exhausted and I go, screw the weights, I don't want to do the weights. And the truth of it is, Lena, what Deborah is saying that is so important to keep in mind is that one of the reasons men can eat more than women is because they have more muscle mass and their metabolism runs faster and they can eat more as a result.
00:36:29 So a woman like me just to lose weight would run, run, run and jump up and down and whatever and the truth of it if you focus on doing whatever weights you can do, it doesn't hurt to get a trainer in to help you, and some insurances will actually pick that up as part of your rehab stuff, and learn how to do those upper body weights, and I will tell you, it will improve your metabolism and it could actually be a great focus as an exercise to get you through and increase your metabolism, increase your muscle mass.
00:37:04 Lena, I think this might be a good little departure for you to pay attention to your body in a different way.
Lena: There definitely is a reason for everything in life, I truly believe in that.
Paula Begoun: That's true.
Deborah Enos: I'm telling you, you are right on. And to this day it has been 12 years since I broke my leg and I still do upper body workouts and I don't think I would have learned that habit it I hadn't broken my leg and was forced to do it to increase my metabolism.
00:37:35 I can eat more than any mid-40s woman I know because I have a lot of upper body strength.
Paula Begoun: Healthy women, strong women stay young.
Deborah Enos: That's right!
Paula Begoun: Lena, your call is important for me because I am one of those women who I am hanging on that elliptical and, damn, Lena thank you. You just helped me. Tomorrow it is 30 minutes on the elliptical and I am doing 15 minutes of weights.
00:38:08 Lena, tell me your skin type and I will also send you some Paula's Choice products.
Lena: My skin type is sensitive and dry.
Paula Begoun: And whose products are you using right now?
Lena: I'm using Merle Norman.
Paula Begoun: Let's see if we can do a little better for you. So I am going to send you some of my Paula's Choice Skin Recovery products and see if I can't help you out that way. Lena, take care of your health, start lifting those arm weights and see if your insurance will let you get a trainer to help you figure out how to take care of yourself. Thanks for calling, dear.
Lena: Thank you so much.
Paula Begoun: All right. Deborah, I'm going to let you go because we are going to take a few skincare questions right now. But I love talking to you.
00:38:55 Oh wait, actually wait, wait. You know somebody called and asked, before I let you go, and her call, I think she hung up, but Surry from Texas asked what is the best collagen-increasing food - what do you eat to increase collagen? We know what you don't eat now. You don't eat sugar and processed foods. We know that. So what do I eat?
Deborah Enos: That's a good question and I can't say that I have the perfect answer. But what I will say is kind of work backwards from there that the better your circulation, that means the better you are going to have a blood supply all over your body. If you have a healthy blood supply, then you are going to be more likely to make more collagen.
00:39:42 So a couple of things. Tons of fruits and vegetables. And by tons, I don't mean tons. What I mean is at least two fruits and three to five veggies a day. I also highly recommend things like doing yoga because having your head down is going to increase a lot of blood flow to your head. That is going to help to really bring a fresh blood supply to your facial tissues which is going to help to push out junky stuff and really lay the foundation for better things to be created.
00:40:18 Just a basic yoga class. You can get a DVD. You can probably watch it online. There are also a lot of great herbs that I would include in my daily diet. And one herb that I am really loving right now is rosemary. And rosemary has been shown to help increase your circulation throughout your body. So, what I would probably do this time of year, it is starting to be fall, and maybe doing more roasting of vegetables, I would just cut up potatoes and onions and garlic and just sprinkle a little chopped up rosemary on top, roast it in my oven at 350 or 400 for 30 to 45 minutes and you are going to get that great rosemary taste. It is going to help to increase your circulation.
00:41:00 And it's a great way to sneak more vegetables into your diet.
Paula Begoun: Deborah, you are going to love this. I am planting an herb garden. I'm actually planting an herb harden. So Karen from New York is asking an interesting question that I actually have many thoughts on. Desiree, can you turn Karen on for us from New York.
Desiree Stordahl: We've got her on the line.
Paula Begoun: Hey Karen, how are you? Where are you in New York?
Karen: Westchester County, New York, just north of New York City.
Paula Begoun: Not too far from me. By the way, I've got a nice lineup of Broadway shows that I am seeing over the weekend; I'm very excited.
Karen: Oh great.
Paula Begoun: So Karen, oh, I'm seeing the "Book of Mormon." I am so excited. So, Karen, you are asking Deborah your question.
Karen: Okay. I have heard conflicting things and I'm in my mid-50s and I like to drink a lot of water. But of course when you are working and you need to always stop at the bathroom a lot, it becomes a problem. So I guess I really want to know really the good amount of water to drink for your skin and also for your body to be well hydrated.
Deborah Enos: That's a great question. And, Karen, you are right.
00:42:17 There is a lot of confusion over is it 8-eight ounce glasses of water a day? Is it more, is it less?
Karen: Right.
Deborah Enos: And a couple of things. Our bodies are so brilliant because your body will tell you exactly whether or not you are hydrated or not. So, here is your little test to see if you are hydrated. On the next break I want you to go to the bathroom and if you look in the toilet and it is pretty bright yellow, that means you are dehydrated.
00:42:47 So when you urinate it should be almost clear or almost like a light butter color. So you should be able to barely see the urine in the toilet. That is a good indication that you are really well hydrated. Now what is going to make your urine really bright orange is being super dehydrated, maybe you just got up in the morning and your urine is very concentrated. Or, maybe you just had a handful of vitamins which will also turn your urine a bright orange color.
00:43:18 So the simplest advice I can give you is just look in the toilet next time and if it is almost clear, you are doing really well.
Karen: Well what about drinking tea and coffee during the day? Obviously that is still drinking water, right?
Deborah Enos: Yes, it is technically. But if it has got caffeine in it, then that is actually do the opposite thing and it is going to be a diuretic. And it is going to dehydrate you. So it is going to push a lot of urine out of you and at the same time dehydrate your tissue.
00:43:49 So one thing I always tell my clients is if you have a caffeinated anything, cup of tea, cup of coffee, or even goodness forbid a soda. I know it happens every now and then. But you have to have at least two glasses of plain water the same size just to bring you back to zero.
Karen: I'd be going to the bathroom all day.
Deborah Enos: Yeah. So what I would say first thing in the morning is to drink a big glass of water.
Paula Begoun: Deborah, let me ask you a question. What is the issue of having clear urine versus that deep color you are talking about? What is the issue? What am I looking at when I see one versus the other? What is wrong with the concentrated stuff?
Deborah Enos: Well when it is really concentrated your body is working really hard and basically what that is showing you is that you are losing some good stuff.
00:44:42 You are losing some minerals. Your body is not as hydrated. It is having to work harder. And when you are dehydrated you are not peeing very much. What does come out is usually bright in color which again is just the indication to your body that either, A, I just had a bunch of vitamins or, B, wow, I haven't had lots of water in eight hours. I'm really dehydrated. So, again, it is just - when you pee and it is bright orange, I mean that is normal stuff that is coming out of your body. It is just a byproduct or metabolism.
00:45:15 But when you are drinking a lot of water it is so diluted you don't see it.
Karen: The other question is, I am going to be working out, is it better to drink the water before you work out or does it matter if you drink it after you work out or during?
Deborah Enos: You know I think it is best to do it before as long as you are not chugging 20 ounces of water and going for a three mile jog, because it is just going to slush - move around in your stomach and not feel very good and maybe cause a tummy upset.
00:45:45 So what I would do, I will get up maybe early, I get up at 5:30. I drink probably 8 ounces of water. Then I have a cup of coffee. Then if I have another glass of water, half a banana and then go for a walk or a jog. So I'm [multiple speakers] my water.
Paula Begoun: I'm somebody who when I am working out I always have water with me because when my mouth gets dry I am miserable.
Deborah Enos: And when your mouth is dry that is an indication that you need to do a better job with this. You are either exercising or it is a hot day. But for those of us who exercise outside, we don't usually carry water, so I would say definitely 20 or 20 minutes before you go for a walk or you go for a light job, drink 6 to 8 ounces of water and then make sure you really hydrate when you get home.
Karen: Okay.
Paula Begoun: That sounds good.
00:46:40 So Karen, tell me what skin type - we are going to send you Deborah Enos' book, "Weight a Minute." And let me also send you some Paula's Choice skincare products. What skin type do you have?
Karen: I have I would say, believe it or not I am like your age and I would say I am normal to oily because I still get breakouts, a little bit.
Paula Begoun: So do I.
Karen: And I'm in my mid-50s. I think it is good, though, because my mother is 85 and has beautiful skin and I'm hoping that somehow genetically - she still has clogged pores.
Paula Begoun: Let's see if I can help both of you. Tell your mom I say hello. Normal to oily skin is completely understandable.
00:47:35 There's nothing about, whatever you read in the fashion magazines -
Karen: Dry, dry --
Paula Begoun: It's ridiculous. All of a sudden you go over 45 or 50 and you are supposed to be a prune. In fact, a good percentage of women over 40 or 50 have oily skin and breakouts and wrinkles, etc, etc. Okay, so whose products are you using, dear?
Karen: Murad.
Paula Begoun: Murad. Okay, you are spending too much money.
00:48:07 So what I'm going to do is I am going to send you some of my Paula's Choice Skin Balancing products. And you are going to love me. And then I am also going to send you my 2% BHA liquid and I think that if you use that starting every other night you will love me. I think you will have unclogged pores and your skin will be less irritated and you will follow the instructions that Desiree will send you and we will send a stash to your mom, too, because believe it or not mom can use the same product and she will stop having clogged pores, too.
Karen: Oh great, thank you.
Paula Begoun: Wait, does mom have dry skin?
Karen: No, I don't think her skin is dry. It's hard to believe that it's not. You go to the cosmetic counter and they say you have dehydrated skin. I don't even know what they mean by that. It's sort of like --
Paula Begoun: You know what that means?
00:49:11 That means you are doing bad skincare? What does that mean? I hate the cosmetic counters. Dehydrated skin or congested skin, that is just a fancy way to say you have a clogged pore. Dehydrated skin means your surface skin - there is just a fancy way of saying your surface skin is dry. But most women who have surface dry skin or combination skin and surface dry skin have it because of the skincare products they are using.
00:49:41 They use soap. They use drying cleansers. They use products with fragrance. Fragrance dries and irritates the skin. Contain alcohol. Even the fancy serums you often buy, the second or third ingredient is alcohol. That causes free radical damage and dries the skin. I could go on and on. But right now what I am going to do is send you some Paula's Choice Skin Balancing products and my 2% BHA liquid. It is a salicylic acid-based liquid. You will love me. I'm definitely [multiple speakers]. Again, you will save a lot of money.
00:50:17 Give them a try and tell mom I say hi.
Karen: Oh, thank you so much.
Paula Begoun: You are welcome, dear. So Desiree, Wanda has an interesting question. Deborah, I'm not letting you go.
Deborah Enos: No problem.
Paula Begoun: Do you have to go?
Deborah Enos: No, I'm here baby. I'm here.
Paula Begoun: You are here for the duration!
Deborah Enos: I'm here for the duration.
Paula Begoun: Can we talk to Wanda?
Desiree Stordahl: Yes, we've got her on the line.
Wanda: Hi Paula, how are you?
Paula Begoun: I'm good, Wanda. How are you? I love the name Wanda I've got to tell you. It always makes me think of that movie "A Fish Named Wanda." Is it "A Fish Named Wanda?" It is, isn't it?
Wanda: " A Fish Called Wanda," yes.
Paula Begoun: I think of Kevin Kline. It's just I can't…okay, so ask Deborah your question dear.
Wanda: Yes, I've always heard that cherry juice is good to fight inflammation. First of all, is that true and secondly is it better to drink the juice because it is much more concentrated than trying to eat a whole bowl of cherries every day.
Deborah Enos: Great question.
00:51:27 Wow. I don't know that I have ever been asked that, but I am so excited because I love cherries. I live in the state of Washington, this is cherry country. And there are a bunch of cool things about cherries. One is that it has a natural form of melatonin. So it is going to help you sleep better when you eat cherries. But it also has a natural form of aspirin in it and what that does is aspirin helps to reduce inflammation. So, eating cherries can actually be phenomenal for your skin because it is going to help you fall asleep and stay asleep. And it is going to reduce inflammation.
Paula Begoun: But, Deborah, Wanda is asking not about eating cherries, but cherry juice.
Deborah Enos: Yes. So a couple of things. You can certainly do the cherry juice but during cherry season which I know we are at the tail end.
00:52:18 I don't know where you live, but maybe you can still run out to the market and get some. Cherries would be my first choice. Here's why: They have got the fiber in it. They have everything that nature provided it is really in the cherry. Whenever we take a fruit and then turn it into a juice, something is going to be lost in the translation. So if you can't find real cherries, I'm totally okay with you doing cherry juice inside your body.
00:52:46 I haven't seen anything topically, I think that was part of your question - can you kind of apply it or dab it on. So what I would do is I would do kind of a cherry mocktail. So I would probably do one cup of club soda and then one cup of cherry juice and do it in that way. Because too much cherry - that would be a lot of sugar without fiber. But if you cut it with the club soda it would be a much better way to go.
Paula Begoun: Because if you are taking in too much sugar, that is really the problem with juices in general. Whatever benefits you get, you are getting the sugar, you are getting the acetal - Bryan, is it acetal glycated end products or accelerated glycated?
00:53:26 I always confuse what [aging].
Bryan Barron: I always see it has advanced. Advanced glycation.
Paula Begoun: Advanced! Not acetal. Advanced glycated end product. And sugar in almost any form, and the purer the form the worst. And so juicing -
00:53:44 What I do, so I am bragging because I have been such a good girl lately, I actually buy the frozen berries. So I actually buy, I'm into making myself these little smoothie things. Now I do stick in a half a Splenda. I do, it's true, I really do. But I take the yogurt and I take the cherries or blueberries. I'm here in Washington state as well, so in season I buy flats of blueberries and strawberries and freeze them and then I make these little smoothie things.
00:54:22 But you can go to the freezer section of any grocery store and it is a little pricy, but getting disease is more expensive than the pricy frozen strawberries or cherries or blueberries than buying the juice which in my opinion is a setup to make things - you get the negative with the positive. Why not just get the positive.
Deborah Enos: Exactly.
Wanda: Yeah, because I sometimes go through these periods where I will have a little bit of it because I think it is good for me, but then I think I am in taking too much sugar because the other question I had was whether inflammation is really connected to Seborrheic dermatitis. I have itchy eyebrows and in the winter I have itchy - the upper part of my ears get really itchy.
00:55:09 So it seems like it is connected to too much sugar but I wasn't sure if there is a connection at all, if it is the whole skin thing.
Paula Begoun: Well, there's no question that an inflammatory diet, sugar, processed foods, all the stuff we know is crap for us. There is no question that that causes - makes wrinkles worse. Sun damage and smoking. Anything we can do to make things better we need to do to make things better. So, yes, obviously the healthier you eat, yes, inflammatory disorders can reduce. But then there are disorders like Seborrheic dermatitis that have an auto-immune aspect to them.
00:55:58 They are not exactly sure why it happens to some people and not others. But without question everything gets better to some degree when you are eating healthier. You know, I have just very limited time. I could take to you about Seborrheic dermatitis but I don't have time. But there are things you can do for the eyebrow area in particular.
00:56:20 Desiree will get your email from you and I will send you some information about what you can do for those areas because those areas are actually very, very, very easy to treat. And so I will see if I can help you out.
Bryan Barron: I have a product in mind that I need to double check the complete name, but Desiree send me her information as well and I will make sure that I get that product name. it is a topical cream that you can put on your skin that really helps minimize the flaking and the itching and I think you will be surprised at how well it works. I just wish I could remember the complete name.
Wanda: Excellent. Thank you very much.
Paula Begoun: We will get you that information. We will also get you - Bryan, make sure we mention the product on the show next week.
00:57:10 We will send you Deborah's book. Tell me your skin type and we will get you some Paula's Choice products and then I am going to have to go. Tell me your skin type real quick.
Wanda: I have oily skin.
Paula Begoun: And whose products are you using.
Wanda: Most of the time I have started using this MD Forte. It is a glycolic acid wash.
Paula Begoun: Okay, this is going to be too long of a discussion. Because MD Forte, they make a really good glycolic acid product but they are a limited line.
00:57:38 You only - they are really just - and you don't want to use a facial wash with glycolic acid because you are just washing it down the drain. That's a whole other discussion. I'm going to send you some Paula's Choice Skin Balancing products. You can play with those. And definitely try the 2% BHA gel I am going to send you and see how your skin feels. And follow the directions and if you have any questions of course you can always find us on PaulasChoice.com and chat with our customer service team.
00:58:06 Thank you for calling. But I have to say goodbye because I have to tell everyone what is coming up on next week's show.
Wanda: Thank you.
Paula Begoun: Thank you, sweetheart. So we have been talking to Deborah Enos. Deborah Enos is author of "Weight a Minute: Transform your Health in 60 -" I love this title. I have to come up with titles like this. "Transform your Health in 60 seconds a day." You can find her at DeborahEnos.com.
00:58:29 Sign up for her newsletter and she will keep you feeling and being healthy. Deborah, thank you. I've got to say goodbye really quick but we will talk to you again soon.
Deborah Enos: Sounds good. And I learned so much from you today. Thank you!
Paula Begoun: Take care, dear.
Deborah Enos: Bye-bye.
Paula Begoun: Bye-bye. So this is Paula Begoun, the Cosmetics Cop, with Desiree Stordahl and Bryan Barron, the brilliant Paula's Choice Research Team. Our next show, on the 29th, we are going to give you our favorite makeup bargains. You have to listen to this show. On the 6th we are going to do acne fighting treatments - getting the clear results. And I mean it.
00:59:10 This is state-of-the-art stuff. And then on the 13th, age-related cosmetic procedures. What procedures like Botox, derma fillers, all of those things, lasers, IPLs, what to consider in your 30s, 40s, 50s and 60s. I'm Paula Begoun, the Cosmetics Cop. Live here most Thursdays. You can listen to us archived. I've got to step even bothering to say the time because it is global and it is archived. Come find me on PaulasChoice.com. We are going to keep you beautifully informed, that's what we do. Tune in next week. Take care.
PCWEB-WWW1 v1.0.0.351 11/24/2014 1:10:14 AM
Skip to Top of Page
15% Off Resist Anti-Aging   |   FREE Shipping on $50+   |   5 FREE Samples

Create an Account

Create Account»
  • »

New Customers

You will have the option to create an account after you have submitted your order.