Your Best Haircut: How to Get the Ideal Cut for Your Look and Lifestyle

Airdate: 5/23/14

Overwhelmed by product choices to fight signs of aging and other skin concerns? Wondering if you can streamline your routine and get the same results in less time? It can all be so confusing, so listen up as Paula and Bryan reveal the key products everyone needs for a great skin-care routine. We’ll also detail which products are best for specific concerns and when each product in your routine should be applied so you get the best results with the least amount of effort.

Bryan Barron: Hey everyone. It’s Bryan Barron. Thanks for tuning in to our radio show, “Be Beautifully Informed with Paula Begoun and the Paula’s Choice Research Team.” I am part of the Paula’s Choice Research Team and I am here today with my trusty and trusted coworker, Nathan Rivas.
Nathan Rivas: Hello.
Bryan Barron: Nathan is our Paula’s Choice Social Media and Community Manager and Senior Research Team Member. So, he contributes to content in numerous ways, but is mostly keeping his finger on the pulse of what’s going on with social media and Paula’s Choice.
00:00:35 Facebook. Google Plus. Twitter. Instagram. And now…
Nathan Rivas: YouTube.
Bryan Barron: YouTube. We’ve been on YouTube for a while with our various videos. Oh, Nathan is sinking. Poor Nathan’s chair just wouldn’t stay up. He’s a trooper. He’s now 4’5”, but he’s a trooper. And today’s show we’re actually really excited about. We have a special guest. The show topic is, “Your best haircut. How to get the ideal cut for your look and your lifestyle.”
00:01:03 And rather than listening to Nathan and I go on and on about that, neither of us are hair professionals or hair stylists. We have consulted the woman who cuts and colors my hair in Maple Valley, Washington, and her name is [Erin Steiner]. Erin works at the Stan Parente Salon, both in Maple Valley and in Federal Way, Washington.
00:01:28 And she is a little hair dynamo. She is always on the cutting edge. She produces some of the best haircuts. She cuts my hair. She cuts my husband’s hair. She has been doing hair for - I know she’s been at Stan Parente for about 14 years and I think she’s been doing hair professionally for a good 16 years, although she doesn’t look a day over 21. I have to ask her her beauty secrets. But, Erin, are you there?
Erin Steiner: Yes I am.
Bryan Barron: Hello.
Nathan Rivas: Hi Erin.
Erin Steiner: Hi!
Bryan Barron: Nice to talk with you.
Erin Steiner: You too.
Bryan Barron: I need to come in and see you soon.
Erin Steiner: Oh, all right. Sounds good.
Bryan Barron: Are you at the Federal Way store today?
Erin Steiner: I am.
Bryan Barron: Okay.
00:02:07 Okay. So, yeah, Erin, I don’t you to be too nervous. This is just a friendly conversational show and let’s just get right into it.
Erin Steiner: All right. Sounds good.
Bryan Barron: Okay. So, you’ve been doing hair long enough that I’m sure you have picked up some tips over the years on what to tell clients who are unsure how to communicate what they want to the stylist.
00:02:37 We all know what can happen, or what’s most likely to happen when the communication isn’t there. The client ends up dissatisfied. You’ll probably never see them in your chair again. And it really isn’t your fault - communication is a two-way street. So, what’s the secret, how should clients be communicating to stylists?
00:03:00 And if they’re not sure what they want, how do you get that out of them?
Erin Steiner: Ooh, yeah, that’s a tough one. But actually I think one of the easiest things that took me a long time to get, definitely ask them what they don’t want. You know, like what they don’t like about certain hair or just about their daily routine and how much time they want to spend on it. And stuff like that.
00:03:32 And, I mean, if they still are having a problem, pictures for sure, to make sure that they understand what their hair texture is compared to the picture, because sometimes people show you a picture and you’re like, “Yeah, that’s not going to happen.”
Nathan Rivas: It’s a brush, not a wand.
Bryan Barron: Ha! Yes. Yeah.
Nathan Rivas: That’s a good point actually just on that. How do you approach a customer who brings in - a client who brings in a photograph that clearly is not going to happen with your hair type?
00:04:04 And then along those lines, how would someone as just a normal civilian every day be able to interpret looking at a picture, whether or not that’s a look that’s going to work for them?
Erin Steiner: Yeah, I mean, you just have to explain it to them. Sometimes even show other pictures of like, well, this is actually what your hair is more like than that. And also explain styling wise what goes into -
00:04:33 You know, what the picture looks like and if they’re willing to do that then that’s one thing. If they’re not then , you know, just say I can do it like that but it’s not going to look like that every day, for sure. You know.
Nathan Rivas: Yeah. We do hear that a lot from women who complain that, “Oh, my hair doesn’t look the way it looks after I get it done and my stylist is finished and it looks great. And I get home and the next day I try it and it doesn’t look anything like I thought it would.
Erin Steiner: Yeah. Which you definitely have to as a stylist educate them on how to do it.
00:05:04 I mean, even when I started doing hair I couldn’t even blow dry hair with a round brush. It’s something that takes practice and you have to go over it with them and just go over like the things that make it easier. Just little tips here and there and also product wise what’s good for their hair.
Bryan Barron: Now, Erin, I know that personally having seen you for a cut and color that you obviously offer those services. But are those the two areas where you prefer to stay or are there other areas of hairstyling that you also are really enjoying, but obviously for somebody like me I’m not coming to see you for extensions.
Erin Steiner: Yeah!
00:05:46 No, you’re not. I do do extensions, which I like, as well. And also like the Brazilian blowout is a big thing right now. It’s basically a keratin treatment that straightens and smoothes and conditions your hair and is pretty amazing, especially for people that have like frizzy or just kind of unruly hair that are used to having to dry and flatiron and do all this stuff that ends up damaging your hair.
00:06:11 It’s actually the opposite. You don’t have to flatiron it. It’s already pretty smooth and it’s actually conditioning and gives you a lot of shine. So, that’s kind of what we’ve been doing a lot of lately as well.
Bryan Barron: But those are additional services that, I mean, yes, of course you’ll do them. I mean, every hair stylist has those areas where they just really feel like, wow, if I could just do this all day I would love it.
00:06:36 But I also know that it’s important to shake things up.
Erin Steiner: Yeah. Absolutely. And I wouldn’t say I have one particular thing that’s my favorite. I like - well, I like doing style changes on people. When they come in and they want something totally different and they’re ready for it as well. Sometimes people think they want something different but they don’t really.
00:06:58 Or they’re too scared to do it quite at the time. You know, you have to be ready for it. So.
Nathan Rivas: On that point, actually, as far as you mentioned the Brazilian blowout or keratin treatments in general. When someone is looking at having a keratin treatment like the Brazilian blowout done, what would you say are kind of some of the common pros and cons that you - and considerations that you discuss with clients in terms of whether or not a Brazilian blowout is going to be something that ultimately they’re going to be happy with in the long term?
Erin Steiner: Definitely, I mean, one of the things that they have to do to keep it is use like non-sulfate shampoos and conditioners, products.
00:07:41 If sometimes they do like to wear it curly, or don’t want it, then sometimes you can do one that doesn’t make their hair completely straight. You can do it where it’s a little bit less. But it’s one of those things that I always tell them if they don’t like it it doesn’t last forever. It lasts, you know, three to five months.
00:08:01 So, sometimes after you do them, like their hair can be a little flat for a little while if you do it where it’s really straight. I have some clients that are like, “Oh, you know, it’s a little flat for a couple weeks, but that’s no big deal because then it lasts longer. Things like that.”
Nathan Rivas: Okay.
Bryan Barron: So, when someone is in your chair and they are showing you a picture of what they want you to do to their hair and you’re thinking, well, there are parts of that that could work. There are parts of it that won’t. Or maybe their hair is just too damaged to survive that type of a style.
00:08:42 How do you tactfully communicate that to them because it can be - I mean, it’s a tenuous situation. The client, you certainly don’t want to disrespect them. You want to be respectful of their feelings. Hair is a very emotional issue, particularly - I mean, I’m not saying it isn’t emotional for men, but I think it’s generally true that it’s more -
00:09:04 Women are more emotionally tied to their hair. Far more common to hear a woman complain of having a bad hair day than a guy. Guys are just like, “Eh, whatever.”
Erin Steiner: Yeah. That’s very true.
Bryan Barron: So how do you do that?
Erin Steiner: How do I explain it?
Bryan Barron: I mean, how do you turn what could be a potential negative into a positive?
Erin Steiner: A lot of times I’ll tell them, you know, if their hair is too damaged, “You can do that but probably not like in one step or in one day.” You know, just basically say your hair has gone through a lot or - and that will kind of put a lot more abuse on it, so you want to - you can do a little bit, but you would want to do conditioning treatments, protein treatments, something to strengthen it in between. And you can eventually usually get to where they want to be without having to be like, “Well, you’re hair is fried, so that’s not going to work.” You know?
Nathan Rivas: Ha!
Bryan Barron: So, do you actually give them some schooling in a sense of what happened that made their hair as damaged as it is, or kind of try to find out what that was and then kind of say, “Well, here’s what you shouldn’t be doing?”
Erin Steiner: Yeah.
00:10:19 Absolutely. I think a lot of it, especially, you know, pretty much I’d say - I don’t even know the percentage, but a huge percentage of people have chemicals on their hair, especially women. And sometimes they’ve just done too much, but they also don’t use the right products to take care of it in between that. And they’re blow drying, and they’re flat ironing, and they’re doing all this stuff that’s just damaging it more.
00:10:43 So, a lot of time I would definitely say, you know, do a deep conditioner at home. If you have time, do it once a week. If you don’t have time, you know, just do it as much as you can. Also, using heat protectant if you do blow dry and flatiron or curl, or whatever it is that you do. Use something that’s going to protect it so it doesn’t get more damaged in the process.
Bryan Barron: Yeah.
00:11:01 Neither one of them is going to be 100% shield on the hair, but they can certainly help. And in terms of a conditioner, even if you - there’s nothing wrong with wearing a conditioner, whether it’s labeled deep conditioner or not, on your hair overnight.
Erin Steiner: Exactly. As long as it doesn’t have like too much protein in it, which there isn’t too many of those. But, yeah, totally. Leave it in overnight, rinse it out in the morning when you take a shower.
Nathan Rivas: Oh, and I was going to - one quick, well, I don’t know if this is going to be quick for you or not.
Bryan Barron: She’s fast on her feet!
Nathan Rivas: Some general, a lot of the questions we’ve had from women are just what are some of the best cuts or best styles for hair types.
00:11:45 We’ll have questions from women who will say what generally is kind of a better cut or style that I should aim for or look that I should aim for as someone with thick curly hair or someone with very fine hair? Or someone who just has very thick hair in general but not very curly?
Bryan Barron: Let’s go with those two extremes, Erin, in terms of how you’ll answer that.
00:12:09 So, the person with the thick more unruly hair and the person with the fine thin hair, two different hair types. Two different results. In one case not enough hair and then in another case potentially too much hair.
Erin Steiner: Okay. I would say, well I’ll start with the thin hair or fine hair, because my hair is very fine. And I prefer it short because it’s easier for me and I know a lot of my clients that do have the finer hair, the shorter is usually easier because you’re going to be able to get more body out of it.
00:12:42 But you just have to have a good cut. If you have a bad cut you’re going to hate it and it’s going to be really hard.
Bryan Barron: So, let me stop you right there. For somebody with fine or thin hair, what are the hallmarks of a good cut? How do you know if you’re getting a good cut and you have that hair type?
Erin Steiner: I’d say definitely like shape of the head. Like I always do my shorter haircuts with how their head is shaped and where it’s thicker. A lot of times - a lot of the complaints with shorter haircuts is they leave too much behind their ears, like that stuff gets really thick.
00:13:17 And then it just feels like the haircut is completely out of shape, if that makes sense.
Nathan Rivas: I imagine it’s probably easier to see mistakes with finer hair, too.
Erin Steiner: Yes, for sure. And lighter hair. Like the blonder the hair is, the more mistakes you see as well.
Bryan Barron: So, what about for thicker hair?
Erin Steiner: For thicker hair? I would say, I mean, it kind of depends on how much maintenance they want to do. It’s usually, you know, people that don’t want to do a lot of maintenance, it’s easier to leave it longer. Some layers in there, not a ton. Not a lot of texturizing, just because that can make it too frizzy. But you can still take weight out of it so it doesn’t get too frizzy.
00:14:16 But, yeah, I would say, I mean, if they want lower maintenance, leave it longer. It’s always easier because then they can put it in a ponytail. I mean, a lot of people that have thicker and more curly hair don’t have to wash it every day so that is nice for them. It usually works a little bit better when they don’t wash it too often, because the oil at some point kind of weighs it down a little bit more, so it doesn’t feel dry and frizzy.
Nathan Rivas: You know, another question we get a lot is how body shape fits into choosing a hair style, especially length is a question we get in terms of women who are a bit curvier, or who have larger areas that they’re dealing with. Should I keep my hair long or can I go short? How short can I go? Does it emphasize?
Bryan Barron: Body shape in terms of like if someone is heavier or like more apple shaped versus pear shaped?
Nathan Rivas: Yeah.
00:15:02 Especially who has kind of more - kind of wider hips especially. We’ve seen some complaints about people who fret about how they like short hair but they feel like it makes them look larger, you know, if they have really short hair.
Bryan Barron: Ooh…
Nathan Rivas: So how does that factor into choosing the right hairstyle?
Erin Steiner: I’ve heard that as well from people that are bigger, feel like if they have short hair they feel like they have a little pinhead.
00:15:31 Usually they’re just comfortable with having it like, you know, probably I would say past your shoulders a little bit, but not too long. I think for me I usually look more at people’s faces when I’m looking at their hair. Like I don’t ever usually look at someone’s hair and go, “Oh, their hair is too short for their body.” I don’t. Maybe other people do. But that’s not something that ever I’ve really noticed.
Bryan Barron: Is it important for a new client to give you some background information about their, not just their lifestyle, but for example what they do for a living?
00:16:05 A female accountant may want a different haircut than a female painter?
Erin Steiner: Absolutely. Yeah, for sure. That’s why I usually always kind of ask people that stuff just to get a general idea of, you know, some people need a more conservative hair for their job, or you know, and some people can get away with whatever, which is kind of fun, so.
00:16:30 But yeah, that definitely helps.
Bryan Barron: For our listeners, I’ll just remind you that we are speaking with special guest, Erin Steiner, who is a hairstylist at the Stan Parente Salons in both the Federal Way and Maple Valley, Washington locations. Did you have another question for Erin?
Nathan Rivas: As far as styling tools and styling products, is there kind of like a basic starter kit or kind of universal tools that you think that every woman should really have to be able to kind of pull off kind of a range of looks, whether it’s your everyday go to and from work or school and then also those tools that you would need to create something a bit more special for kind of like a night out?
Erin Steiner: Did you ask about products and tools?
Nathan Rivas: Yeah.
00:17:18 Like general types of products, maybe even some of your favorites, but then also especially tools or heat styling tools or brushes.
Erin Steiner: I think like just a normal flat brush pretty much are great for blowing, you know, blowing it dry. But also - depending on how long your hair is, a round brush is going to fit, like a bigger one is going to give you more body. A smaller one is going to give you a little more curl. I think depending on your haircut one of those you will always need. I have probably like four of them at home, all different sizes from when my hair is different lengths.
00:17:56 And a good flatiron for sure. A good blow dryer. I have a few clients lately that have been like I think my hair is like kind of, and I’ll go through it and I’m like, “Did you burn your hair off?” And they’re like, “I think I might have. I think my blow dryer got too hot.” And I’m like, yeah, you need a new blow dryer for sure. So, things like that. Investing a little more money in them is good because it’s going to last you in the long run. And product wise, oh man, I’ve got lots of products that I love, but a few of my favorites for sure would be the Tonic from Bumble and bumble.
00:18:31 It’s just a pretty light leave-in conditioner. But it just gives you a lot of shine. It helps it dry a little faster. It’s got a lot of vitamins and stuff in it so it’s good for your scalp and your hair for shine. Oribe has a couple great things. Those are two of the product lines that we would use at work, or in the salon is Bumble and bumble and Oribe. And Oribe has a great one that’s called Après Beach Spray. It’s a texture and shine spray.
00:18:58 I think everyone should have that. It’s good for just like a good finishing product. Kind of gives you a little more texture and a little more shine. And you can make it a little messier if you want. But not looking too messy.
Bryan Barron: Actually, that is one of the products that Erin got me using. And I don’t use it all the time. I think, Erin, are you still using that pretty much every day?
Erin Steiner: I don’t think I use anything every day.
Bryan Barron: Well, you’ve got a wealth of products at your disposal.
Erin Steiner: I do!
Bryan Barron: But one of my issues with the full size of that product is that there’s definitely a learning curve to, A, how far from your head to hold the can, because it’s aerosol.
Erin Steiner: Absolutely. Yes.
Bryan Barron: And then, two, it sprays out really forcefully.
Erin Steiner: Yes.
Bryan Barron: And you have to really keep it moving because especially I have normal to fine hair and if you put too much in one spot it’s just like letting the air out of the balloon. It’s like, Wah-Wah.
Erin Steiner: Totally.
00:19:58 Totally yeah. That is a product you definitely do have to - you don’t need a lot of it and you do spray it - usually when people have said, “I don’t like this,” I’m like you’re probably using way too much. And, yeah, spray it pretty far from your head. That’s kind of the thing with a lot of Oribe’s products is you don’t need to use very much. If you don’t like what you’re using, you’re probably using too much of it. [Crosstalk].
Nathan Rivas: A couple of questions, actually these are all kind of generally related. If you could actually run through some of the basic types of products like gels, mousses, styling lotions, and pomades, and then maybe explain how you use each one of those and why you would use each one of those in terms of who would use a styling mousse?
00:20:40What type of look is that good for? Who would use a styling gel? What type of look is that good for? That sort of thing.
Erin Steiner: Okay. A mousse I would definitely say for, you know, put it in wet. I usually always just put it at the scalp. You can pull it through, a little bit, but that’s good for more - people that want a lot more body.
00:21:04 And hold. But not like a sticky hold. As long as you don’t use too much as well. A gel would be more for like a wet look. And a good hold. There’s some gels now, like the gel serum from Oribe, that’s kind of a combination of a gel and a serum, so you can put it in before you blow dry and that will give you a good hold. But also it has almost a little - not like a pomade, because it’s not that heavy, but a little bit of that.
00:21:34 So you can get a little bit of the shine. It’s more of like a serum and a gel in one, because I use it wet and dry on people. But, yeah, gel is definitely for people that want a lot of hold and more of a wet look.
Bryan Barron: And let’s not, I just wanted to really quickly clarify that I think back several years ago, it’s more about - when I hear the word “hold” I still tend to think of something that makes hair more helmet like and really kind of stiff and crispy.
00:22:07 And I think that the strong level of hold that a lot of gels had, and I think the only one that may still be available today from recent memory is Bumble and bumble’s Gellac.
Bryan Barron: That is a very strong hold gel.
Erin Steiner: Very strong.
Bryan Barron: So, I just wanted to clarify, Erin, that when you’re talking about using a gel for more hold it really is about more control and being able to maintain that style.
00:22:32 It’s not about hair that won’t move or hair that’s crispy to the touch.
Erin Steiner: Yes. Exactly. I mean, unless you want that. There are some like the Gellac that will do that. But, yeah, there’s more lighter gels now that you can put in that are more just, yeah, like you said, for control, and hold, and not necessarily the wet look.
Bryan Barron: What about pomades and waxes? Those are trickier.
Erin Steiner: Those are. Because there’s so many different kinds now.
Bryan Barron: Now do you ever use them on damp hair?
Erin Steiner: I don’t really, unless it’s like a really, really, really light one.
00:23:06 I find a lot of times on damp hair they slide off. I can’t really seem to get it to stay in the hair very well when it’s wet. So, I usually always do it after. And I think I always tell my clients to do it after as well.
Nathan Rivas: What about hair oil? So, we’ve kind of seen a lot of that pop up, especially Moroccan, you know, Argan oil, or -
Bryan Barron: “Ooh, it’s got Argan oil in it.”
Nathan Rivas: “It must be.”
00:23:33 And then when you look at the ingredients it’s really kind of more silicone and less Argan oil.
Bryan Barron: “It’s from the rainforest”
Nathan Rivas: But as far as using oils in hair or oil kind of silicone blend products, how do you feel about those?
Erin Steiner: I think they definitely have their place for sure. But there’s not too, too many people that need it unless they do have the really porous, crazy, uncontrollable hair, then you do need some.
00:24:02 But it’s one of those things, too, like you don’t want to overuse it, at all, or else you’re going to end up like a grease ball. So, you kind of have to know your hair or your client’s hair and explain it to them like how much they should be using.
Nathan Rivas: It sounds like it’s a bit more hype in a lot of ways than - because we get people who ask, “Oh, what do you think about hair oils?” And it just seems like they’re just so excited about the concept of hair oils for some reason that they really don’t know what it’s supposed to do, or why someone would use it, whether or not it’s even right for their hair type.
00:24:37 But it sounds like it might just really be something that it really isn’t that unique or that special to use in hair, unless you have, as you mention, really, really thick, course, or dry hair.
Erin Steiner: Yeah. Exactly. Like, I mean, my hair is pretty fine. I wouldn’t put an oil on my hair, you know. Yeah, they always have something new. Something new to get people excited about.
Bryan Barron: And hair care formularies, from a technical standpoint, they aren’t as exciting as skincare formularies for an example because there are only so many ingredients in each group that can cleanse hair, condition hair, and hold hair in place.
00:25:17 So, whereas you have a potentially infinite number of combinations of ingredients for different skincare products. With hair care you’re dealing with a limited pool and a lot of companies use what I call “Window Dressing” ingredients, where they’ll call out a couple of ingredients, usually natural ones, that often have no benefit whatsoever for hair, but they look good on a label.
00:25:38 And the brands know that calling out natural ingredients is a powerful draw for consumers.
Erin Steiner: Absolutely.
Bryan Barron: We like what we’re familiar with. It’s much easier to understand a product that contains aloe versus sitting down with someone and trying to tell them what polyquaternium-55 is.
Erin Steiner: Ha! Exactly.
Nathan Rivas: That looks good on a marketing ad.
Bryan Barron: The latter sounds very scary and aloe is something you put on to help with a sunburn. I get it.
Erin Steiner: Exactly. A lot of people are big on fragrance, too, you know, like “Oh that Lavender, that smells good.”
Bryan Barron: Yup. I see that every time I’m in the Stan Parente Salon when people are looking at the hair care products. One of the first things they do is they open it up and sniff it.
Erin Steiner: Absolutely.
Bryan Barron: And I get it. You know, having hair that smells nice is important. The trick is to not put something too fragrant right on your scalp because for a lot of people that’s going to cause itching and irritation and then they’re likely to think they have dandruff or whatever.
00:26:32 And it’s just not fun. Let’s circle back to the topic of pomades and waxes, because I think that that is an area of styling products that is perplexing for many people. So, Erin, from a professional standpoint, when would you use a pomade versus a wax? Should you go for matte or shiny. And we’ve established a fact that we wouldn’t put them on wet hair, so this is really a finishing product.
00:27:01 So, how do you usually use them?
Erin Steiner: Let’s see, like the lighter pomades I usually use more - for people that don’t want a lot of hold, they just want more definition, like show off the texture a little bit more of their hair, but again it’s something you don’t want to use too much of because it can get heavy and feel greasy and you’ve got to distribute it evenly for sure.
Bryan Barron: Somebody who has short hair, like yours. Your hair is on the shorter side, or like mine, and it’s normal to fine. How much pomade should one use without overdoing it?
Erin Steiner: Oh, I would say, I mean, probably less than a dime size. I mean, I always start smaller. Make sure you distribute it in your hands like really evenly so you don’t get like a clump in one spot. But yeah, I always stat with like a tiny little bit and add more if I need to.
Bryan Barron: I will say on a personal note, Erin is one of the very few hairstylists that I have ever worked with that doesn’t overdo the styling products.
00:28:08 Before I started going to Erin almost inevitably when I would leave the stylist’s chair, not that they weren’t giving me a good haircut, but they were just product crazy.
Nathan Rivas: Just shellacked.
Bryan Barron: Yeah!
Erin Steiner: You have to like go wash it.
Bryan Barron: My hair would be so coated with product that I could not wait to get home and wash it.
Bryan Barron: I would just - like there’s no way I’m going to bed with all this stuff on my head. Ew.
Erin Steiner: It’s going to look like a hot mess in the morning if you leave on all that product.
Bryan Barron: Exactly.
Erin Steiner: I know because I’ve had people do it to my hair, too, or even like, you know, ten years ago my hair was really short, I’d always put tons of stuff in it.
00:28:45 When I woke up in the morning, oh my gosh, I’d look like Billy Idol. It was out of control.
Bryan Barron: All right. So, what about waxes, which tend to be heavier than pomades, typically.
Erin Steiner: Yeah. Usually heavier. And then there’s like, you know, the ones that are kind of like just wax, but there’s also the ones that are more sticky.
00:29:04 So, depending like if they want more hold-hold, I’ll use kind of a stickier one. Well, you know, it’s sticky, so it holds it better. And then the other ones that are more waxy, it’s usually better to use one like thicker, heavy hair because if you use it on fine hair, you know, like ours it’ll get too greasy or just weigh it down, you know.
Bryan Barron: So, about a dime sized amount though, same as pomade?
00:29:30 Or should we be using less than a pomade?
Erin Steiner: I would say about the same, you know, depending on how much hair you have. The more hair you have, the more you’re going to use I would say, but same thing, just start smaller.
Bryan Barron: Okay. And as far as a finishing product, whether it’s labeled pomade, wax, putty, balm, whatever they’re called, those thicker, heavier -
Nathan Rivas: Clays.
Bryan Barron: Clays. Those thicker, heavier styling products. I’ve often wondered this -
00:29:58 Where do you start, if your aim is to put it all over and kind of get that piecey definition, where do you start? Do you start at the front and work back? Or do you start at the back and work forward? Or at the sides and work up?
Erin Steiner: Oh, well, I would say it depends on what way you’re wearing your hair. If you’re wearing it back, I’d probably start at the front and push it back. If you’re wearing it more forward I would start in the back and work it forward. I usually - that’s just kind of how I usually work my hair.
Bryan Barron: Pay attention to how it falls. And where you want it to go?
Erin Steiner: Yes.
00:30:30 How you want it to fall when it’s done. Yep.
Bryan Barron: Okay. Okay.
Nathan Rivas: I tend to start when I use wax or when I used wax, I don’t use it now, but I tended to start more at the back because I find that sometimes if I started with the front I would apply too much to the front. But I really kind of wear my hair in like a kind of Republican side part, so it wasn’t as big a deal. And it does take. And my hair tends to be pretty unruly, so it does take a lot of product, or at least a product with a lot of hold to it to really kind of manage that.
Nathan Rivas: But, I imagine it does make a difference, just depending on the type of style that you have.
Erin Steiner: For sure.
Bryan Barron: Well, Erin, a couple more questions for you and then we’ll let you get back to your clients.
Erin Steiner: Okay.
Bryan Barron: Hopefully. Do you have a few more minutes?
Erin Steiner: I do. Yeah.
Bryan Barron: Okay, good. Okay.
00:31:21 I wanted to make sure that we covered the topic of some tips from you for maintaining the cut at home, so why don’t we start there. What’s your general advice? As Nathan mentioned earlier in the show what we hear from a lot of women is I love the way my stylist does my hair and how my hair looks when I leave the salon. It seems so effortless, but when I try to do it home all bets are off.
Erin Steiner: Uh-huh.
00:31:46 I would say, you know, as a client just make sure that your stylist is explaining to you how to do it at home and watch them while they’re styling it. While they’re styling it, if they’re not explaining it to you ask them questions. Well, why are you using it that way? Why are you using this product? What’s it for? I mean, they should be telling you that, but you know, sometimes we do forget. We get busier. We get talking about something completely off the subject of hair, you know.
Bryan Barron: Sure.
Erin Steiner: So, just make sure they’re explaining it to you.
00:32:16 What products. How to use them right. What styling tools. You know.
Bryan Barron: Do you ever book appointments with clients that are simply about how to style hair? It’s not like they’re coming to you for a cut, but they’re saying, “Okay Erin, I want half an hour of your time so you can show me how to do this?”
Erin Steiner: Absolutely. Yeah. Absolutely. And I’ll always tell them like if they’re having it problems with it and they can’t figure it out or whatever, just call me, or come in.
Bryan Barron: Okay.
00:32:43 And then the other question I wanted to make sure that we addressed with you, Erin Steiner, Hair Pro from Stan Parente Salon, is to find out what people can do when their haircut doesn’t quite turn out the way that they had hoped. Particularly in regards to haircut when the only solution - and it’s really no solution at all - is you can’t pick up the hair that’s on the floor and put it back on the head.
00:33:12 When it’s cut, it’s cut.
Erin Steiner: You can’t! I know, they haven’t figured out how to do that yet.
Bryan Barron: Ooh, wouldn’t that make life easier?
Erin Steiner: It so would.
Bryan Barron: What do you tell clients afterwards, and again just for our listeners, Erin does a very, very good haircut and I’ve seen her work on several different people. But I’m sure you’ve had experiences over the years where the client was just like, “Erin, I don’t like it. What do we do?”
00:33:36 So what’s your advice?
Erin Steiner: Usually, oof…why don’t you wait a few months and come back. I’m kidding.
Bryan Barron: Here’s a lovely selection of hats.
Erin Steiner: We have extensions. Ha! Which actually you can do. I mean, I’ve had people come in that have had their hair cut somewhere and did not like it. And sometimes you’ll just put in like one or two in certain spots and that can fix it.
00:34:02 Other than that, ask them what it is that’s not working. And go from there. A lot of times, sometimes you just have to like take more weight out. Or a lot of times it’s not anything that’s not fixable. It’s usually something small that they’re like, “Well I got home and styled it and this part is too thick,” or, “I parted it on the other side and this is too short.” Or, “This one is too long,” or whatever. Usually something that’s pretty simple.
Bryan Barron: So generally it’s a good idea to not panic. There’s probably a quick fix solution. And most stylists if they’re reputable will be more than amenable to fixing it.
00:34:41 Because a happy client is a client that comes back.
Erin Steiner: Absolutely. Absolutely.
Nathan Rivas: Should that fixing session, should that be something that the client gets charged for, or should that be something that they would expect would be along with the initial service?
Erin Steiner: That I would say it depends on the time. Like how much time has gone by.
00:35:03 If it’s been within two weeks, then no, they shouldn’t be charged for it. But if it’s been like a month or two months, then it’s grown out quite a bit by then, so if you had a problem with it you probably should call, you know, within a relative -
Nathan Rivas: That’s like two haircuts for me in that period of time.
Bryan Barron: I’m not saying there aren’t clients that try to pull that, but wow, that’s some chutzpah.
00:35:26 Because I mean that definitely does happen sometimes. It’s like, oh, this person called in and they don’t like their hair.
Nathan Rivas: It didn’t keep!
Erin Steiner: Yeah, exactly. Like, all right, “It didn’t cover my gray.” Well you had it done a month and a half ago so of course it didn’t.
Erin Steiner: It did at the time, but it’s time for a touchup.
Bryan Barron: Erin, it’s your fault my hair keeps growing.
Erin Steiner: It keeps growing back white! I can’t figure it out! What do you do?
Nathan Rivas: Actually, I have one more question. So, who do we tip and how much do we tip?
Erin Steiner: Ooh, well, I mean usually your stylist, of course. I think the general is like 20% now. And there’s always apprentices that help out. It’s kind of up to you whether you tip them or not. I don’t think there’s like a set rule for it.
00:36:23 I usually like with apprentices when they help me out, sometimes they don’t need to, but sometimes I definitely need them. So, I tip them out at the end of the day. And if my clients have tipped them as well, then good. I think that’s great. Because I know I was there at one point and it definitely helps out for sure.
Bryan Barron: Yeah. In regard to tipping, is the general etiquette rule that you do not tip the salon owner?
Erin Steiner: So, the first salon that I worked out, that’s how it was, they didn’t.
00:36:57 In our salon, I think most people do. I don’t really know the exact answer to that rule because I don’t think they’re - I don’t know that everyone has the same opinion on it. Some people do. Some people don’t.
Bryan Barron: Well what’s Stan’s take on it? Because there actually is a Stan Parente for our listeners.
Erin Steiner: Yes there is. I’ve never asked him actually.
Bryan Barron: All this time you’ve worked side by side with Stan.
Erin Steiner: I know. Isn’t that terrible?
Bryan Barron: What do you guys talk about?
Erin Steiner: We gossip! Well, we do but…
Bryan Barron: We talk about clients!
Erin Steiner: We talk about you guys! No, I’m joking.
Nathan Rivas: I personally have always thought, you know, if the stylist performs a service for you then you tip them.
00:37:42 To me it’s like a sign of saying this is how happy I am with the work that you’ve done. And to me it just doesn’t matter whether or not it’s the salon owner or not. So, I never really understood that concept. You get to like a really high level and then you lose out on this part of the whole experience. So, that’s my take on it.
Erin Steiner: Yeah. I know a lot of his clients do tip him.
00:38:10 So, yeah, I don’t know.
Nathan Rivas: And else then could you show that you’re displeased if you don’t tip at all ever? Ha!
Erin Steiner: And you know, I mean there are some people that just don’t tip no matter what, you know. They could be super, super happy and they just don’t tip.
Nathan Rivas: Hmm.
Bryan Barron: Hmm.
Erin Steiner: Yeah, I know. I know.
00:38:33 That’s always my take, too. Like, hmm, what did I do wrong? And then they come back again and they love it and they just don’t. I mean, there are some people that just don’t have that concept. So.
Bryan Barron: Are you dropping hints like, gosh, I sure hope I can make rent this month.
Erin Steiner: That’s funny. I went out to dinner last night and that was exactly what our waitress was saying. I thought that that was funny. But then I also looked at the date and it’s the seventh. I thought you usually pay rent before that. Ha!
Bryan Barron: Yeah, gosh, unless she’s running late.
Erin Steiner: Where does she live?
Bryan Barron: Erin. Thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to join us. I know our listeners will appreciate it.
00:39:12 And I’m sure you’ll be getting some calls at the Stan Parente Salon for appointments with you.
Erin Steiner: Awesome.
Bryan Barron: I cannot recommend Erin highly enough. She is my go-to person and I love the fact that she’s literally right down the street from me. I don’t actually have to drive into the great big city to get a haircut. I used to do that and now I don’t have to.
Erin Steiner: Yeah. It is nice.
00:39:36 I know a lot of people in Maple Valley are pretty happy about that, so yes. Well, thank you guys very much as well.
Nathan Rivas: Thank you for joining us today. it was a great talk.
Erin Steiner: Yes. Absolutely.
Bryan Barron: This will definitely be a popular show among our Facebook fans and other forms of social media. And we’ll do it again sometime.
Erin Steiner: Yes. Great. Any time.
Bryan Barron: All right, Erin.
00:39:58 Take care and I’ll be sitting in your chair fairly soon.
Erin Steiner: Yay! Sounds good.
Bryan Barron: All right. See you later.
Erin Steiner: Okay, bye.
Nathan Rivas: Bye-bye.
Bryan Barron: Bye-bye. All right everyone. That is our show. Thank you so much for listening. Visit us at PaulasChoice.com where we have a wealth of information on skincare, makeup, and hair care. We do have hair-care advice articles. And our Paula’s Choice Facebook page is an excellent place to go to see our latest posts about hair care. We will talk about products. We talk about services. And our fans will tell you what they like and what they don’t like. It’s a wonderful place to share your experiences about all things beauty.
PCWEB-WWW1 v1.0.0.358 12/22/2014 6:57:45 AM
Skip to Top of Page
20% Off Retinol Products | FREE Shipping on Everything | FREE Eyeshadow Palette on $65+

Create an Account

Create Account»
  • »

New Customers

You will have the option to create an account after you have submitted your order.