Are Your Hands and Arms Making You Look Older?
How to Have Younger-Looking Hands and Arms
The reason it’s so easy to start having younger-looking skin on your hands and arms is because the exact same types of products and ingredients that work for your face to renew and improve skin tone and discolorations work beautifully on your hands and arms, too!
Although there are some differences between the skin on your face and the skin on your body, there’s no research showing those areas require different ingredients or formulas to keep skin looking and feeling younger. What contributes to signs of aging are the same for your hands and arms as they are for your face.
The basic concepts of skincare we talk about all the time (gentle cleansing, non-abrasive exfoliation, sun protection, using products loaded with antioxidants and skin-restoring ingredients, along with a product containing skin-lightening or skin-brightening ingredients) also work perfectly for your hands and arms.
Essential Steps for Beautiful Hands & Arms
To see improvement and keep your hands and arms looking healthy and young, you must be as consistent in taking care of those areas as you are with your facial skincare routine. Following these steps is the key to unlocking the youthful potential of your hands and arms and keeping it that way—not to mention avoiding the contrast of having a youthful-looking face and "old" hands and arms!
- Avoid washing your hands with bar soap or drying cleansers. As much as possible only wash your hands with a gentle water soluble cleanser or moisturizing body wash. Being gentle with your hands is critical to keeping the surface strong, supple, and smooth.
- Non-abrasive, gentle exfoliation is important for your hands and arms, too. Removing built-up dead surface skin will reveal the radiant, healthy skin hiding beneath. Paula’s trick is to take the cotton pad she uses on her face with our leave-on SKIN PERFECTING 2% BHA Liquid Exfoliant and apply the remaining amount to her hands and arms.
- Twice daily or as needed, apply a rich, emollient skin-protecting moisturizer that replenishes vital lipids, antioxidants, and hydrating ingredients to help maintain your skin’s natural defenses against environmental damage. Paula’s Choice CLINICAL Ultra-Rich Soothing Body Butter will immediately alleviate any dryness or tight feeling.
- Every morning after you’ve applied your cleanser, exfoliant, and moisturizer, you must conscientiously and without exception liberally apply a water-resistant sunscreen with SPF 30 or greater and reapply it as needed throughout the day. Just like for your face, this is the most crucial step to fighting early signs of aging. This habit will also help reduce the risk of skin cancer in the short term and the long term.
- For certain, a major aspect of older-looking hands and arms are unwanted brown or other dark spots. Thankfully these can be greatly diminished by using a skin-lightening product containing 2% hydroquinone. Another option is to use a skin brightening moisturizer that also contains specialized ingredients for creating a more even skin tone. Applying these products to your hands and arms twice a day along with meticulous use of a sunscreen will produce astounding results (just ask Paula to show you her hands and you’ll be a believer, too!).
Hands Do Take a Bit More Effort
How often we wash our hands adds a complication to taking care of your hands during daylight hours. As mentioned above, protecting skin from the sun with a water-resistant sunscreen rated SPF 3o or greater is vital, but every time you wash your hands, even if you are using a water-resistant sunscreen, you wash off some of the sunscreen. That's why reapplying sunscreen after you wash your hands is critical, even if it's a pain. If you aren't diligent about reapplying sunscreen as often as possible after hand-washing, your hands will appear much older than they really are, and all the other skincare steps won’t save them from the inevitable.
Treatment Options Beyond Skincare
When it comes to fighting signs of aging, there’s only so much that a good skincare routine can do to reverse visible damage. After a certain point (and to get truly impressive results), you may want to consider having cosmetic corrective procedures performed on your hands, the same types of procedures doctors commonly perform on the face. At Paula’s Choice we believe it’s important to balance out what all the options are for having the best skin of your life.
No matter which methods you use to make your hands and arms look younger, it all starts with great skincare, especially sun protection you use consistently, day in and day out. As long as you're willing to commit to this, you may even be able to skip any further, pricy intervention down the road!
The Best Skin of Your Life Starts Here: The same type of in-depth scientific research used to create this article is also used to formulate Paula’s Choice Skincare products. You’ll find products for all skin types and a range of concerns, from acne and sensitive skin to wrinkles, pores, and sun damage. With Paula’s Choice Skincare, you can get (and keep) the best skin of your life! Learn more at Shop Paula's Choice.