Skincare from the Neck Down
Recommended Body Care Products
It All Starts with Sunscreen…
Some of the most telltale signs of skin looking older are evident from the neck down: Uneven skin tone, crepey skin, loss of firmness, and spots. This is mostly true if you haven't been as diligent about using sunscreen and avoiding tanning on your body as you may have been with your face. However, if you’ve neglected both it’s never too late to start.
For a quick and easy way to ensure sun protection all over your body (and we can’t stress this enough), consider our Sunscreen Spray SPF 43. It’s a fast-absorbing, invisible-finish formula providing broad-spectrum protection to help reduce the risk of early skin aging. No other skincare product but sunscreen can assert that claim!
In addition to sun protection, the skin on your body will stay looking and feeling wonderfully radiant from using the same type of formulations you use for your face: Antioxidants, skin-replenishing ingredients, soothing agents, retinol, enriching oils, and butters are essential to your skin, especially dry skin. You’re more likely to experience dryness from the neck down even if you have oily combination skin on your face.
To meet that need our RESIST Retinol Skin-Smoothing Body Treatment is a phenomenal anti-aging lotion delivering a combination of the best moisturizing ingredients available. It absorbs quickly but still leaves a silky-smooth feel on skin!
Below we’ve compiled our other top picks for products that address your most common body-skin concerns.
Clear Up Body Acne
Anyone who struggles with breakouts on their back (the dreaded "bacne"), neck, thighs, or booty knows all too well how frustrating and stubborn these be. The research is clear that blemishes on the face and body need the same skincare ingredients. This is what you need to know:
- Avoid bar soaps—the ingredients in bar cleansers can clog pores, dry skin, and make red areas worse!
- Don’t use abrasive body scrubs or loofahs. Acne cannot be scrubbed away but it can be made worse from using abrasive products on it.
- Use a gentle cleanser that's water soluble and doesn’t contain oils or fragrance (fragrance is not skin-friendly whether it’s natural or synthetic). Our PC4Men Body Wash meets that criteria and don’t let the name being directed at guys deter you—it works beautifully for women too.
- Apply a well formulated BHA exfoliant (with the active ingredient salicylic acid) to breakout-prone areas. Our CLEAR Acne Body Spray with 2% Salicylic Acid is a game changer for breakouts. It’s one of the few on the market that is really non-irritating, and the spray has a 360 degree nozzle that can be held upside down to get your back and other hard-to-reach areas.
- Follow up with a benzoyl peroxide product, such as our CLEAR Extra Strength Daily Skin Clearing Treatment with 5% Benzoyl Peroxide. Abundant research has shown this to be the gold standard to reduce stubborn acne wherever it lurks on your body.
Get Rid of Bumpy Skin and Hard, Clogged Pores
This a very common problem involving tiny, hard, raised, clogged pores typically found on the upper arms, thighs, shoulders, and back. Basically, these areas are clogged pores that become solid and then often get red and aggravated. Unclogging them and following up with a soothing skincare routine is the key to getting smoother skin.
For this type of problem a BHA lotion, like our RESIST Weightless Body Treatment with 2% BHA is ideal—you won’t believe your eyes after just a few days of use. Not only does it help unclog pores, it also contains soothing agents for double the benefit. The best part? You can wear sleeveless tops again!
Similar to our vitally important recommendation above, it’s also imperative to avoid bar soaps (which can make clogged pores worse) and use a gentle body wash instead. Keep in mind you can't scrub away the plugs but you can make them worse. That will only make them mad—then they really won’t go away, leaving clogged pores stubbornly where they are.
Diminish Uneven Skin Tone (Especially on Your Hands)
As we stressed earlier, daily sun protection for all exposed areas is critical to keeping your skin young and healthy-looking and most importantly reducing the risk of early signs of aging. While starting sunscreen now will make a world of difference going forward, past neglect is probably already showing up on your skin, and most certainly your hands and arms.
You will be stunned how much you can fade these brown spots by using a skin-lightening product that contains hydroquinone, like our RESIST Triple-Action Dark Spot Eraser 2% BHA Gel. Apply to discolorations over any part of your face or body at night and make sure to follow up with sunscreen in the AM (without diligent use of a sunscreen any skin-brightening product doesn’t stand a chance)!
Have another skincare concern for your body? Find more of our Paula’s Choice Body Care picks here.