Anti-Aging Skin Care Shouldn’t Stop at Your Face
Our Experts Recommend
Skin Care Starts at Your Boobs!
Just like your hands can give away your age, your neck, chest, and décolleté can do the same. So, it's no wonder cosmetics counters are packed with endless creams and treatments targeting these areas. The truth is that buying a separate neck, chest, or décolleté cream is a waste of your money. These "specialized" products are rarely well-formulated, and they almost always are overpriced—plus, they are completely unnecessary because the product you use for your face will work beautifully (providing it's well-formulated, too).
The cut of your clothing often exposes your neck and chest to the sun, making them especially vulnerable to sun damage and the signs of aging, just like your face. Wrinkles, crepiness, or discolored skin all show up sooner on areas that haven't been shielded from the sun or routinely protected with sunscreen. This is especially true for the neck and chest because we tend to neglect those areas far more than our face.
Abundant research makes it absolutely clear that what it takes to keep skin anywhere on your body acting and looking young requires the same brilliant ingredients. Gentle cleansing, products loaded with antioxidants, skin-repairing ingredients, and cell-communicating ingredients along with dedicated use of a well-formulated sunscreen work for your face, neck, chest, and décolleté.
The very same ingredients you use on your face simply need to be applied down your neck to your breasts. You don't have to open any other products. It's that easy.
What You Can Do:
- Any skin-care routine you assemble for your face (cleansing, toning, exfoliating, etc.) needs to extend to your chest, neck, and décolleté. An extra dollop or two of your products will go a long way to helping. Think of it like this: If the skin on your face looks young and healthy, but the skin on your neck and chest is wrinkled and leathery, you are doing yourself a huge disservice.
- To see improvement and keep your skin looking healthy and young, you need to be as consistent in your routine with your neck, chest, and décolleté as you are with your face routine.
- There is no need for separate products unless you are addressing specific skin-care concerns (dry skin, acne). Find the Best Products for your skin on Beautypedia.
- If all else fails, always protect your neck, chest, and décolleté with liberal application of broad-spectrum sunscreen. It's the best single step you can take to keep this area of your skin (and femininity) looking gorgeous for years to come.
- Sun damage on the chest and décolleté is treatable: If you notice brown spots, start with a skin-lightening product that contains hydroquinone, and always use sunscreen that provides sufficient broad-spectrum protection to prevent further damage. At night, follow up with a well-formulated anti-aging treatment.
We've said it before, but it bears repeating: Skin is skin, and what works for your face absolutely will work for your neck, chest, and décolleté. Just like you don't need a separate eye cream, there's no need to buy extra products for signs of aging below the face. As long as you don't have any specific concerns (like acne, eczema, or rosacea), your facial moisturizer will keep your chest, neck, and décolleté looking healthy and young.
Back to top