With over 2.7 million books sold, Paula Begoun and her co-author Bryan Barron are the "go to" authorities on cosmetic products and claims. To interview Paula or her team, please email Caroline O'Connell.
Some of the topics they can discuss in TV and radio interviews and via email, include:
- Are expensive department store products better than inexpensive ones found at the drugstore?
- Do any of the "Better than Botox" creams work like they say they do?
- What are some of the best new makeup products (mascaras, foundations, lipsticks, powders, blushes, eyeshadows, lip glosses) on the market and why?
- What are the best moisturizers?
- Are there any especially impressive products that consumers need to know about?
- Are there any inexpensive products that are "drugstore doubles," almost identical to more expensive products on the market?
Skincare Myth Busting
- Why "natural" or "botanical" ingredients aren't necessarily better than synthetic ingredients.
- Are propylene glycol, mineral oil, and petrolatum bad for the skin because they’re derived from antifreeze and motor oil?
- Are there any truly effective wrinkle creams?
- Do facial exercises work?
- Can a cream get rid of cellulite?
- Are all SPFs created equally or are there certain ingredients to look for?
- What are the most outrageous current trends in the cosmetics industry?
- Are eye creams necessary?
- Do terms such as "hypoallergenic," "noncomedogenic," "all-natural," "patented secrets," and "dermatologist tested" mean anything? What are some other terms to look out for?
- Do the studies conducted by cosmetics companies really prove their claims?
Taking Care of Skin—The Basics
- What are the three most common misconceptions women have about skincare?
- What are the three worst things a woman can do to her skin?
- Should your skincare routine change based on your age?
- What skincare products does every woman need?
- How can you identify your own skin type?
- How often should people change their skincare routines and products? What factors influence the way our skin behaves on a given day?
- What ingredients are necessary for a cleanser to be effective? What ingredients should consumers be wary of?
- What ingredients are necessary for a moisturizer to be effective?
- When can a moisturizer do more harm than good?
- Are wrinkles caused by dry skin? What is the "back-side test" of aging?
- What products really do get rid of wrinkles?
- Should you exfoliate? What factors are necessary for an exfoliant to be effective?
- What is the latest research about sun protection? What ingredients must be in sunscreen to protect against skin cancer and wrinkles?
- What are some of the newest "hyped" ingredients and what can they really do?
- Do antioxidants make a difference? Are products that include vitamins A and C worth the money?
- What is the latest information on plant extracts?
- What do antioxidants, AHAs, BHA, vitamins and Retin-A do for the skin?
Skincare for Teenagers
- What should teens know about their skin?
- Why are most acne products a waste of money?
- What is a good skincare solution for oily skin?
Skincare for Babies
- What are the most important considerations when buying products for babies?
- What is wrong with all of those pastel yellow, pink and blue products that smell sweet and fresh and remind us of darling babies?
Skincare for Men
- What are the two most important things men should know when they purchase skincare products?
- What can you do about razor burn?
- Are men’s skincare products different than skincare products marketed to women?
- What should a person look for when choosing a plastic surgeon?
- What are the top five questions to ask when seeking a reputable plastic surgeon?
- What are the most popular procedures and how much do they cost?
- What can one really expect from a given procedure?
- What are typical risks and recovery times for a given procedure?
- What should every woman have in her makeup bag?
- What are the top 5 beauty myths?
- What are the 5 biggest mistakes women make when shopping for makeup?
- Explain the differences between the various types of foundation (or lipsticks, or mascaras, or eye products, etc.) on the market.
- Is department store makeup superior to the products found at the drugstore?
- Get a really good, even self tan.
- Shape and shade eyebrows.
- Apply a beautiful eye design.
- Quickly change your makeup from daytime casual to nighttime elegant.
- Get super-smooth legs when you shave.
- Give yourself the perfect home manicure and pedicure (and help them last).
- Choose the perfect foundation.
Hair Care Myth Busting – True or False
- Expensive or salon hair-care products are better than inexpensive ones.
- Natural ingredients are better than synthetic ones.
- Silicone is bad for hair.
- You can repair damaged hair.
- Dyeing hair isn’t damaging.
- You can perm and color hair without causing more damage, if you wait a few weeks between treatments.
- Dyeing hair is dangerous and can cause cancer.
- Some hair-care products can protect hair from sun damage.
- Frequent hair brushing is good for hair.
- Cutting hair makes it thicker.
- Just like skin, your hair needs sun protection.
- Is it necessary to shampoo hair twice as the directions suggest?
- Does hair adapt to shampoo?
- Is frequent shampooing bad for hair?
- Are baby shampoos really milder than regular shampoos and can adults use them?
- Do swimmers' shampoos remove chlorine and other harmful chemicals found in swimming pools?
- Do volumizing shampoos work?
- What about 2-in-1 shampoos (that include conditioner)?
- Do the shampoos designed for long hair really work?
- Can you protect hair from heat damage caused by blow dryers, flat irons, or curling irons?
- Does everyone need to use a conditioner?
- What do conditioners do?
- Does it help to leave a conditioner on for long periods of time?
- Do I need to use a deep conditioner?
- What about mayonnaise as a deep conditioning treatment?
- If I have oily hair, do I need to use a conditioner?
- What are the best conditioners?
- What’s the difference between rinse-off and leave-in conditioners?
Preventing Hair Damage
- Brush or comb your hair as infrequently and as gently as possible.
- Never use a brush on wet hair, and don’t over-brush dry hair.
- Choose your brushes and combs carefully.
- When drying your hair, never tousle, twist, or wring it dry with a towel or your hands. Instead, squeeze it dry gently using a towel or your hands.
- Handle your hair as little as possible.
- Use indirect heat (3" to 6" away from the hair is best) to remove excess moisture before you style your hair with a blow dryer and brush.
- Styling tools such as blow dryers, curling irons or hot rollers can damage hair. Keep hair healthy by using them infrequently and on a low heat setting.
- Before using a flat iron or curling iron on your hair, be sure it is 100% dry.
- When using a flat iron, move it smoothly over the hair to prevent concentrating the heat in one area.
- Perming and/or coloring hair unavoidably causes damage.
- Avoid direct sun exposure.
Hair Loss and Regrowth Myths: True or False
- Only men experience male pattern baldness.
- Male-pattern baldness skips a generation on your father’s side.
- Male-pattern baldness is inherited from your mother’s side of the family.
- Male-pattern baldness or thinning hair is caused by hair mites.
- Vitamin deficiency is responsible for hair loss.
- Mineral deficiency is responsible for hair loss. Poor blood flow causes pattern baldness.
- Stress causes hair loss.
- Wearing your hair in a ponytail can cause hair loss.
- Pregnancy can make hair grow.
- Clogged pores on the scalp cause hair loss.
Other Segment Ideas
- How to address typical hair and scalp problems such as dry, flaky scalp, dandruff, oily scalp, split ends, frizz, static electricity and the inevitable "bad hair" days.
- The Best Styling Tools: Paula can bring an assortment of blow dryers, flat irons, curling irons, brushes and combs and explain what makes them the best and how to use them.
- Everything you need to know about hair color. Can you do it yourself? What is the difference between temporary, demi-permanent and permanent hair color? Selecting the right color, coloring gray hair, pregnancy and hair color, and more...