What makes this product unique?
SUN 365 Self-Tanning Concentrate packs a high percentage of DHA—a well-researched tanning ingredient—into an odor-free, water-light formula. A few pumps are all it takes to give skin a natural-looking, long-lasting tan without exposing it to the sun’s damaging rays. With SUN 365 Self-Tanning Concentrate, any regular facial or body moisturizer becomes your ideal self-tanner. Now there’s no need for you to worry about whether a self-tanner’s texture meets your preferences; you can simply add this concentrate to your favorite face and body moisturizer. Best of all, you’re in complete control of how much color you get. Want a little color? Add half to one pump to your moisturizer. Want a deeper tan? Add another few pumps and in a few hours your customized tan transforms your skin from drab to fab!
This product is 100% fragrance-free.
Who is this product for?
All skin types. This product is suitable for anyone who seeks a natural, long-lasting tan without sun exposure. Water-light formula is ideal for breakout-prone skin.
Sources to support the claims made for the SUN 365 Self-Tanning Concentrate
International Journal of Cosmetic Science, August 2011, pages 359-365; International Journal of Dermatology, April 2008, pages 402-406; British Journal of Dermatology, August 2003, pages 232-240; and http://www.fda.gov/cosmetics/productsingredients/products/ucm134064.htm
erythrulose, troxerutin, dihydroxyacetone
Water, Dihydroxyacetone (self-tanning agent), Troxerutin (antioxidant flavonoid/skin-conditioning agent), Methylpropanediol (penetration enhancer) Dimethyl Isosorbide (solvent), Dimethicone (silicone slip agent), Erythrulose (self-tanning agent), PPG-2 Isoceteth-20 Acetate (emulsifier), Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Polyacrylate-13 (film-forming agents), Polysorbate 20 (emulsifier), Citric Acid (pH adjuster), Xanthan Gum, Carbomer (thickeners), Sodium Benzoate, Potassium Sorbate (preservatives), Polyisobutene (thickener), Disodium EDTA, Sodium Hydroxide (stabilizers), Ethylhexylglycerin (skin-conditioning agent), Phenoxyethanol (preservative).
- Start with clean, dry skin.
- Dispense moisturizer into the palm of your hand, and then add 2-3 pumps of the concentrate for a medium tan result.
- Apply the mixture evenly and smoothly, one area at a time.
- Wash hands thoroughly to avoid tan palms and cuticles.
- Wait 10-15 minutes for the skin to completely dry before dressing.
- Color should develop within 1–3 hours and may continue to deepen for a few hours after that. If the desired level of darkness is not obtained after one application, simply reapply and your "tan" will deepen. Once you are satisfied with the results, reapply self-tanner every few days to maintain depth of color.
- Full results are visible in 24-48 hours.
TIPS AND TROUBLESHOOTING:
- Use a nail brush to prevent getting color under your fingernails and toenails, or, alternately, apply this product wearing disposable plastic gloves.
- A tan from a self-tanner does not provide any sun protection! It is essential to continue using sunscreen while using self-tanner.
- The active ingredient in SUN 365 Self-Tanning Concentrate is dihydroxyacetone. This ingredient reacts with the amino acids in the top (dead) layers of skin (keratinized skin) to turn the skin a golden-brown color. Your color will be darker or lighter depending on how much of the Concentrate you mix with your facial or body moisturizer.
- If you opt to apply self-tanner to the tops of your hands, it’s a good idea to lightly go over your cuticles and any rough edges around fingers and toes with a Q-Tip dampened with nail polish remover. This step ensures self-tanner won’t set and unnaturally darken those areas.
How long does the color last?
That depends on how well it "takes" on your skin. Results with the same self-tanner can vary from person to person because of an individual’s chemistry or skincare routine. On some people the color may last a week or more, while others find it lasts a couple of days. However, because SUN 365 Self-Tanning Concentrate contains a higher concentration of self-tanning ingredient dihydroxyacetone, most will find their color lasts one to three days longer than when they use standard self-tanners.
Results will not last as long if you use an AHA or BHA exfoliant on your face or body, use a facial or body scrub, or a loofah in the shower. All of these exfoliants remove some of your “tan” along with dull, dead skin cells but one reapplication of SUN 365 Self-Tanning Concentrate refreshes your faux tan.
How does using an AHA or BHA exfoliant affect the results I get from using SUN 365 Self-Tanning Concentrate?
First, we do not advise mixing this Concentrate with any of our AHA or BHA exfoliants
. Second, there are pros and cons to combining any exfoliant (AHA or BHA exfoliant or topical scrub) with a self-tanner. This concentrated formula contains dihydroxyacetone (a derivative of sugar that turns skin cells a shade of brown), which affects only the uppermost layers of skin. Because exfoliants affect these same layers, they work to slough off the skin cells affected by the self-tanner, thus reducing how long your "tan" lasts. The positive is that when the skin is smoother (the benefit of using a well-formulated exfoliant) you get much more even-toned results from the self-tanner. To keep the level of color you want and
benefit from daily use of an exfoliant, simply apply the self-tanner more often.
Why is the size so small compared to most other self-tanning products?
The size of this product is due to the concentrated nature of the formula and how it is meant to be used. It takes only a few drops to get a natural-looking tan. Plus, SUN 365 Self-Tanning Concentrate allows you to customize the level of color. It also allows you to turn the facial or body moisturizer (even those with SPF) you’re already using into a self-tanner!
Whereas a regular self-tanner requires quite a bit to achieve head-to-toe results, it only takes a couple pumps (which is a very small amount) of SUN 365 Self-Tanning Concentrate to get equivalent results.
Can I mix SUN 365 Self-Tanning Concentrate with my facial moisturizer with SPF? What about regular sunscreen?
Although normally we advise not to mix other products (like Resist C15 Super Booster) with facial or body sunscreens, because only a few drops of SUN 365 Self-Tanning Concentrate are needed, the mixing shouldn’t affect the ability of your sunscreen to provide broad-spectrum protection. If you like, once the mix of Self-Tanning Concentrate and your sunscreen has set, you may apply more sunscreen or a foundation and/or pressed powder with sunscreen to provide another layer of anti-aging protection. If you opt to mix this self-tanner with your daily SPF product, use no more than two pumps
of Sun 365 Self-Tanning Concentrate. More than that could dilute the amount of sun protection you're getting, in which case you should apply the self-tanner first, allow it to absorb, then follow with your facial or body sunscreen.
Will SUN 365 Self-Tanning Concentrate work to make vitiligo look more even?
Quite possibly, yes! There is some research showing that applying self-tanning products with a higher concentration (above 6%; this Self-Tanning Concentrate contains 20%) of the self-tanning ingredient dihydroxyacetone can help mask the loss of pigment and patchy look of vitiligo. SUN 365 Self-Tanning Concentrate may be applied full-strength to these areas, but we advise testing it on a smaller area first to be sure you like the color that results.