Tips for the Perfect Cold Weather Skin Care Regimen
We are led to believe that the change in season automatically requires us to alter our skin-care regimen, but that isn't true. Not everyone's skin responds to weather changes the same way. Simply put, weather is not a skin type.
Buying skin-care products based purely on the season is not only a waste of money, but can also make your skin concerns worse. As is always the case, you have to pay attention to what your skin is telling you, no matter what time of year it is. If going from summer to fall and then winter changes your skin, then you do need to tweak your skin-care routine; if it doesn't change your skin, then there is absolutely no reason to do anything different.
Ultimately, you should always protect your skin and supply it with beneficial ingredients to keep it healthy year-round. However, it's also imperative to assess your skin on a regular basis to determine what effect (if any) the change of weather brings, and then adapt your skin-care routine as needed. Paula Begoun, "The Cosmetics Cop" and the international bestselling author of Don’t Go to the Cosmetics Counter Without Me, shares her guide to keeping your skin beautiful and healthy in the winter season.
Many things can be attributed to dry, flaky or itchy skin. The cold weather, an arid environment and the dry air—both inside and out— are probably to blame. Here's what you can do to make your skin feel smooth and comfortable again:
- Consider changing your cleanser from a gel or foaming water-soluble cleanser to one that has a lotion or creamy texture. This simple change may completely take care of the problem.
- You also can consider a richer, lotion-type toner. After cleansing, a soothing, moisturizing toner can immediately calm your skin and establish a base for making your skin healthy after cleansing, as well as removing the last traces of makeup.
- Depending on how dry your skin becomes, you may need a more emollient moisturizer. Any moisturizer should be loaded with ingredients that help keep moisture in your skin (glycerin,ceramides, fatty acids, and hyaluronic acid are just a few examples). Your moisturizer also should contain anti-inflammatory ingredients to reduce irritation, cell-communicating ingredients to help skin produce normal skin cells, and antioxidants to fight off free-radical damage.
- Adding a serum loaded with these ingredients also can help at night, providing another layer of protecting ingredients while you sleep. Paula's Choice Super Antioxidant Concentrate Serums are an excellent option.
- For some people, the change to cold, dry weather can result in dry, cracked skin. If that's the case, apply a cream or lotion containing 2% salicylic acid (BHA, beta hydroxy acid) to exfoliate built-up skin cells that lead to dull skin, clogged pores, and breakouts. Follow up with an ultra-rich moisturizer such as Paula's Choice Beautiful Body Butter to form a protective barrier that helps your skin defend itself against moisture loss.
- Flaky, chapped lips are more common at this time of year and may require some extra TLC. Remove dry, dead skin cells with a gentle lip exfoliant and follow up with a rich, emollient lip balm for super smooth lips.
- Don't forget sunscreen! Even if you don't see much sun where you live, and even when the hours of daylight are reduced, sun protection is essential—year-round! Your skin can withstand any climate change better when it isn't being damaged day in and day out by the sun.
Paula's Choice was founded in 1995 by internationally known beauty and skin-care expert, Paula Begoun - author of Blue Eyeshadow Should Be Illegal, The Beauty Bible and Don't Go To The Cosmetics Counter Without Me, which have sold more than 2.5 million copies. Using her knowledge and expertise, Paula has developed state-of-the-art formulations for her own line based on reliable, published skin-care research. Products include; skin care, makeup, body and hair care, beauty tools and accessories. All products are fragrance-free, cruelty-free, environmentally-friendly and perform beautifully without false promises. For more information visit: www.paulaschoice.com